MONTREAL, June 21, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - The Oil and Gas Services Association of Québec (OGSAQ) published today, a review of Mr. Marc Durand's video presentations about shale gas development. Entitled "Debunking Durand" this review exposes the many factual problems related to Mr. Durand's approach.
"Mr. Durand has made many presentations as an expert, but his opinions were never reviewed and approved by geologists. Moreover, Mr. Durand is not and has never been a member of the Order of Geologists," said Mario Levesque President of OGSAQ. "His style is purely hypothetical and does not point to any concrete example in the real world," he continues.
The main points raised by the OGSAQ are the following:
- Mr. Durand argues that the rock reacts the same way at the surface as it does two thousand meters under the earth.
- Mr. Durand presumes that the recovery rates of natural gas will be the same in all areas based on general geological estimates.
- Mr. Durand neglects the fact that the Utica formation was naturally fractured over millions of years by tectonic forces, millions of times more powerful than those of hydraulic fracturing.
- Mr. Durand ignored the force of gravity when he claims that water can rise. This assumption is contrary to geological evidence.
- Mr. Durand presents a fictional geological section that cannot be found on real geological maps published by expert geologists .
- Finally, the discovery of high pressure natural gas in and of itself debunks Mr. Durand's model.
"Debunking Durand" is available in a fully detailed version on the OGSAQ website at http://www.ogsaq.com. You may also call us at 581-996-8471 to receive a copy by mail.
For further information:
Mario Lévesque, président OGSAQ - (581) 996-8471