VANCOUVER, July 27, 2017 /CNW/ - The agri-business sector is a key driver of growth in the Canadian economy and a source of good, well-paying jobs for the middle class. The Government of Canada is committed to helping British Columbia's agri-food sector grow their businesses, expand and access new markets at home and abroad as we target reaching $75B in exports of agri-food products by 2025.
Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Parliamentary Secretary for International Trade and Member of Parliament for West Vancouver — Sunshine Coast —Sea to Sky Country, on behalf of Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Lawrence MacAulay, announced today over $233,000 to help B.C.'s agri-food sector increase sales in markets in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
The funding provided will help eleven small-and medium-sized agri-food businesses expand existing markets and build new global customers, develop and maintain branding tools, and participate in trade shows and missions.
The following organizations received federal funding:
- Amra Services Ltd.
- Big Mountain Foods
- HOOH Organic Hop Company Ltd
- Naturally Homegrown Foods Ltd
- Nonna Pia's Gourmet Sauces Ltd
- Nutra Ex Food Inc.
- Organika Health Products Inc.
- Pacific Fermentation Ind. Inc.
- Tropical Link Canada Ltd.
- Tugwell Creek Honey Farm and Meadery Inc.
- Unsworth Vineyards Ltd.
"Support for projects such as these emphasizes our commitment to help B.C.'s agriculture and agri-food sector expand export markets and demand for Canadian products. Through this investment, we are creating opportunities for B.C.'s agri-food sector to grow, diversify and prosper."
- Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
"Canada and British Columbia's sustainable, safe and high quality agriculture and agri-food products are trusted and in demand locally and worldwide. These investments will maximize the sector's ability to develop new markets, boost economic activity and create more jobs to strengthen the middle class."
- Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Member of Parliament for West Vancouver — Sunshine Coast —Sea to Sky Country
"Support from the federal and provincial governments has created value for our innovative sweetener company. We improve the health of Canadians and drive growth for many indirect jobs across all income groups, improving resilience and productivity. With support from the AgriMarketing program, our company is poised to achieve significant scale as we export our high-quality food ingredients to the United States and beyond."
- Lily Zou, CEO, NutraEx Food Inc.
"The support from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's AgriMarketing program has helped us market our products and increase sales significantly!"
- Otari Kobalia, Director, Amra Services Ltd.
- In 2016, Canadian agriculture and food exports exceeded $60 billion.
- These investments are made through Growing Forward 2's AgriMarketing program, a five-year, $341-million initiative to help the agriculture industry create and maintain access to markets and take advantage of market opportunities.
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Like us on Facebook: CanadianAgriculture
SOURCE Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
For further information: Guy Gallant, Director of Communications, Office of the Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, 613-773-1059; Media Relations, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, 613-773-7972, 1-866-345-7972