MP Joan Crockatt announces Government of Canada support for the Normandy Invasion—70th Anniversary project
CALGARY, Nov. 3, 2014 /CNW/ - Joan Crockatt, Member of Parliament for Calgary Centre, today announced Government of Canada support for an exhibit that will highlight the Royal Canadian Navy's role and contribution to the Normandy campaign of the Second World War. MP Crockatt made the announcement on behalf of the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs.
Presented by the Naval Museum of Alberta Society, the permanent exhibit Normandy Invasion—70th Anniversary, will include a series of short videos highlighting some of the key components of the Normandy landing such as the clearance of the channel, the transport and delivery of Allied troops, and the role of Canadian anti-submarine support groups. In addition to being open for public viewing, the project will also be available online.
- The Naval Museum of Alberta Society is receiving $5,000, through Veterans Affairs Canada's Community Engagement Partnership Fund (CEPF), for the Normandy Invasion—70th Anniversary exhibit.
- The project will be available for viewing beginning on November 11, 2014.
- The Naval Museum of Alberta Society operates as a support organization to the Naval Museum of Alberta housed in "The Military Museums" in Calgary.
- To date, the Government of Canada has invested more than $23 million, through the Community Engagement Partnership Fund, for projects that recognize Canadian Veterans and those who died in service.
- For more information on Veterans Affairs Canada's commemorative activities and programs, please visit veterans.gc.ca
"It is imperative that we preserve the memory of our Veterans' valour and pay tribute to their remarkable service to our country. Our Government is committed to supporting community initiatives such as this, which honours these memories."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs
"Our Government's support for this project will allow more and more Canadians to appreciate the many sacrifices made by our Veterans. I want to thank the Naval Museum of Alberta Society for all of their hard work on the Normandy Invasion—70th Anniversary exhibit."
Joan Crockatt, Member of Parliament for Calgary Centre
"We are truly grateful for the support from the Government of Canada, which will allow us to increase awareness of the Royal Canadian Navy's roles and contributions to the success of D-Day and the Normandy naval landings."
Captain (N) (Ret'd) William H. Wilson, Honorary Board Director, Naval Museum of Alberta Society
SOURCE: Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Ashlee Smith, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649; Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468