OTTAWA, Dec. 3, 2014 /CNW/ - Canada's Environment Minister, the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, announced today that the proposed Star-Orion South Diamond Mine Project, located in Saskatchewan, is not likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects when the mitigation measures described in the Comprehensive Study Report are taken into account. The Minister has referred the project back to the responsible authorities, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Natural Resources Canada, for appropriate action.
In reaching her decision, the Minister considered the Comprehensive Study Report and the comments received from the public and Aboriginal groups on the report.
This project was assessed using a science-based approach in accordance with the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act.
- Shore Gold Inc. and the Fort à la Corne Joint Venture is proposing to construct, operate, maintain, and eventually decommission an open-pit diamond mine, processing facilities, and associated infrastructure in the Fort à la Corne Provincial Forest located approximately 60 kilometres east of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
- A copy of the Minister of the Environment's environmental assessment decision statement and more information on this project are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 46277.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Star-Orion South Diamond Mine Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Minister of the Environment's environmental assessment decision statement (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
SOURCE: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Karen Fish, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-957-0278, [email protected]