ALBERTA, May 8, 2012 /CNW/ - According to a national survey, the majority of young people between 16 and 22 years old believe their parents should be good financial role models. Money Mentors, a not-for-profit credit counselling organization, is providing free "Enrich Your Kids" sessions for parents throughout Alberta on Wednesday, May 9th from 6:30 - 7:30 pm.
"For parents, the biggest challenge when it comes to teaching your kids about money is knowing what to teach and how to present it," says Tracy Watson, spokesperson with Money Mentors. "By making it fun and rewarding to talk about money, kids are less likely to run out of allowance money and ask to make a withdrawal from the Bank of Mom & Dad."
According to the CICA (Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants) Youth Financial Literacy Study 2011:
- 89% of youth believe that responsible money management lessons should come from their parents;
- 83% of young people have approached their parents for advice on money management;
- 78% of Canadian parents had attempted to teach money management to their children;
- 60% of those parents felt they were not very successful.
More events during Youth Financial Literacy Week:
- Funny Money with James Cunningham - Money Mentors presents comedian James Cunningham's award-winning program for students at 7:30 pm on May 10th at the Boyce Theatre. James will also be presenting all week at various Calgary and Southern Alberta schools.
- Tuition Contest with Money Mentors and Breakfast Television - With a 500-word essay, students have a chance to win $1000 towards their tuition! Contest open from May 5 - 16.
- The Youth Campaign Design contest on Facebook encourages students to flex their creative muscle for a chance to win $500! Contest runs May 5 - 16.
For more information on "Enrich Your Kids" and Youth Financial Literacy Week contests, visit our website:
Money Mentors is the only not-for-profit credit counselling organization deeply rooted in the Alberta landscape. We're dedicated to educating Albertans on debt resolution, the wise use of credit and unbiased personal money management. For more information, please go to www.moneymentors.ca
For further information:
To book a media interview:
Wayne Coristine, Community Relations Coordinator, Money Mentors
Phone: 403.234.6198 email: firstname.lastname@example.org