New Hearing Panel voids all decisions made by the previous Hearing Panel
CALGARY, Jan. 27, 2017 /CNW/ - The new Hearing Panel assigned to review the Energy East and Eastern Mainline applications has voided all decisions made by the previous Hearing Panel. These decisions will be removed from the official hearing record.
Previous decisions that have been voided include:
- Determination that the Energy East and Eastern Mainline applications are complete;
- Decision to review the Energy East and Eastern Mainline applications via a single hearing;
- List of Participants and any subsequent individual rulings on participation;
- Lists of Issues and factors to be included in the environmental assessments under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012; and,
- Hearing Order.
All hearing steps and related deadlines are no longer applicable. The new Hearing Panel will decide how to move forward with the hearing.
Those who have already submitted an application to participate do not need to reapply. The Panel will review all of the filed applications to participate and release a new List of Participants.
The Hearing Panel has also decided that the project applicants do not need to refile their applications. If the new Hearing Panel determines that the project applications are complete the 21-month time limit will begin anew.
The NEB will share more information when it is available.
- On January 9, 2017, Don Ferguson, Carole Malo and Marc Paquin were assigned to carry out a review of the Energy East and Eastern Mainline projects.
- Energy East is a 4,500-kilometre pipeline proposal to carry 1.1-million barrels of crude oil per day from Alberta and Saskatchewan to refineries in Eastern Canada and a marine terminal in New Brunswick.
- The Eastern Mainline is a proposal to build approximately 279 kilometres of new gas pipeline and related components, beginning near Markham, Ontario and finishing near Brouseville, Ontario.
- Panel Letter – Consequences of the Energy East Hearing Panel's recusal and how to recommence the Energy East hearing [Filing A81494]
- Letter and Solemn Declarations of the Energy East Hearing Panel Members [Filing A81455]
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry. It regulates pipelines, energy development and trade in the public interest with safety as its primary concern. For more information on the NEB and its mandate, please visit www.neb-one.gc.ca.
SOURCE National Energy Board
To view this news release in HTML formatting, please use the following URL: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2017/27/c4502.html
For further information: Marc Drolet, Agent de communications, Office national de l'énergie, Courriel: [email protected], Telephone: 514-476-9911, Telephone (toll-free) 1-800-899-1265; Sarah Kiley, Communications Officer, National Energy Board, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 403-614-6526, Telephone (toll-free) 1-800-899-1265