VICTORIA, June 14, 2017 /CNW/ - Emerald Health Therapeutics Inc. (TSXV: EMH; OTCQX:TBQBF) is pleased to announce that its fully owned subsidiary, Emerald Health Botanicals Inc. ("Emerald" or the "Company"), has established an Advisory Board to provide strategic guidance to the company regarding its continuing product and market development, including the development of pharmaceutical formulations and clinical studies. The Advisory Board includes researchers and physicians specializing in pain management, addiction research, immunology, natural medicines, and pharmaceutical product development, as well experts in cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system.
"We are honoured to have these established individuals form our Advisory Board and guide our company as we push forward with our business plan which includes clinical research to study the effects of our products on client health. Ultimately, we expect to develop pharmaceutical formulations to provide patients with high-quality pharmaceutical-based cannabis products," says Dr. Avtar Dhillon, Executive Chairman of Emerald. "We view pharmaceutical formulations as the next evolution in the medicinal cannabis market and expect that when and if these types of products become broadly available they will lead to an increase in the number of physicians willing to prescribe cannabis through targeted indications, precise dosages, and more convenient consumption methods. We believe that these products will represent an avenue to building valuable intellectual property in Canada, which could lead to accelerated sales growth and profit margins, while potentially providing future sales opportunities in other emerging medical markets."
The Advisory Board members are:
- Gaetano Morello, ND, Chairman of the Advisory Board, is a practicing physician at the Complex Chronic Disease Program at the Woman's Hospital in BC, a member of the Quality Assurance Committee for the College of Naturopathic Physicians of BC, and founding CEO of Enzymatic Therapy Canada Inc., which was the first company to introduce standardized extracts in Canada.
- Giovanni Appendino, PhD, is Professor of Organic Chemistry at the University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara (Italy), Editor in Chief of the scientific journal Fitoterapia, and an expert in the chemistry and medicinal chemistry of cannabinoids.
- Eduardo Muñoz, MD, PhD, is Professor of Immunology at the University of Córdoba (Spain), a member of the editorial board of several scientific journals, an expert in the study of cannabinoids and endocannabinoids, and co-founder of VivaCell Biotechnology and Glactone Pharma AB.
- Alasdair Barr, PhD, is Professor at the University of British Columbia with a focus on mental health and addictions research, using multidisciplinary and translational approach that spans from laboratory to clinic. Dr. Barr maintains active programs in both clinical and preclinical research.
- James T. McCracken, MD, is the Joseph Campbell Professor of Child Psychiatry, and Director of the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. An active clinician who has been included in America's Top Doctors, Best Doctors and SuperDoctors listings for more than a decade, Dr. McCracken is an expert in child psychiatry and serves on the editorial board of the journal Molecular Autism.
- Caroline MacCallum, MD, FRCPC, BSc Pharmacy, is an internal medicine specialist with training in complex pain, addiction medicine, and cannabinoid medicine. She is a clinical instructor in the Department of Medicine at the University of British Columbia (UBC), a guest lecturer and preceptor for UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences Program.
- Jim DeMesa, MD, MBA, is CEO of Emerald Health Pharmaceuticals (a subsidiary of Emerald Health Sciences Inc., the Company's largest shareholder) with 28-years' experience in pharmaceutical product development, co-founder of MedXcel, a medical education company, member of the Boards of Directors of OncoSec Medical and Induce Biologics, and a former practicing physician.
- Stefan Meyer is co-founder and Managing Director of Phytoplant Research S.L of Córdoba (Spain), a company that specializes in developing the industrial chain of medicinal plants. Mr. Meyer has extensive experience in international marketing and strategy development.
"Having characterized a rich collection of cannabis strains and developed industry-leading cannabis oils, including THCA and CBD-50, we look forward to working with the esteemed members of our Advisory Board to further develop our products and the markets", commented Dr. Frey Garabagi, VP of Research and Quality Affairs at Emerald.
Join us on our journey of making lives better through cannabis science.
Please visit http://www.emeraldhealth.ca/ for more information.
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD
Avtar Dhillon, MD
Emerald Health Therapeutics Inc.
Emerald Health Therapeutics, Inc. (TSXV: EMH; OTCQX:TBQBF) operates primarily through Emerald Health Botanicals Inc. ("Botanicals"), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company and a Licensed Producer under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (the "ACMPR"). Botanicals is authorized to produce and sell both dried medical cannabis flowers and medical cannabis oils in Canada. Botanicals currently operates an indoor facility in Victoria, British Columbia, with plans for expansion on a 32-acre land in Metro Vancouver and a strategic venture with Village Farms utilizing 25 acres of greenhouse complex in Delta, BC. Botanicals prides itself on being one of Canada's most medically focused licensed producers and on having one of the industry's most qualified management teams with respect to pharmaceutical drug discovery, development and distribution. Botanicals intends to capture unique niches in both the medical and future adult use cannabis markets through its proprietary strains, defensible intellectual property, and superb client experience.
Cautionary Statements Regarding Forward Looking Information
Certain statements in this press release constitute forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable securities laws. All statements that are not historical facts, including without limitation, statements regarding future estimates, plans, programs, forecasts, projections, objectives, assumptions, expectations or beliefs of future performance, are "forward-looking statements".
We caution you that such "forward-looking statements" involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual and future events to differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, commencement of clinical research on our products; development of pharmaceutical formulations to provide patients with high-quality pharmaceutical-based cannabis products; evolution in the medicinal cannabis market; future availability of pharmaceutical formulations; increases in the number of physicians willing to prescribe cannabis; building valuable intellectual property in Canada which could lead to accelerated sales growth and profit margins; and future sales opportunities in other emerging medical markets.
Emerald Health Therapeutics Inc. does not intend, and does not assume any obligation, to update these forward-looking statements except as required by law. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties relating to, among other things, failure to obtain required approvals under the ACMPR and other applicable laws and regulation; failure to obtain necessary financing; failure of the Canadian federal government to approve legislation legalizing sales of non-therapeutic adult-use cannabis; other regulatory changes; demand for cannabis generally in Canada; competition in the Canadian market for cannabis; our ability to develop and commercialize pharmaceutical products; failure to obtain regulatory approval for pharmaceutical products; actual operating and financial performance of facilities, equipment and processes relative to specifications and expectations; changes in the Company's over-all business strategy; restrictions of the TSX Venture Exchange on the Company's business and other risk factors described in the Company's annual information form and other filings with the applicable Canadian securities regulators, which may be viewed at www.sedar.com. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements.
"Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release."
SOURCE Emerald Health Therapeutics, Inc.
For further information: Sandy Pratt, CFO, 250-818-9838, email@example.com