Key opportunity to improve system efficiency to benefit Ontario's electricity consumers
TORONTO, April 13, 2012 /CNW/ - The Electricity Distributors Association is encouraged to see the government has listened to its recommendation to take a hard look at the entire electricity system through a review of its various agencies and the broader sector.
Ontario's electricity grid is a complex, integrated system that includes generators, transmitters, distributors, along with regulators and other agencies. The EDA has been calling for a broadly based review of Ontario's electricity sector since last year.
"If you're serious about finding savings for customers, you need to be look at each of the players and how they interact with each other," says Charlie Macaluso, President and Chief Executive Officer, Electricity Distributors Association.
"We're pleased to see that the government has taken our advice to examine all facets of Ontario's electricity system and we're eager to share our ideas on how to make the system work better," adds Max Cananzi, Chair of the Electricity Distributors Association.
The EDA's report, Electricity is the Answer, released in 2011 called on the provincial government to:
- Take an arms-length approach to the electricity industry and its regulatory agencies to promote efficiency and more effective decision-making.
- Change regulations that prevent local electricity utilities from providing other utility services.
- Take an evolutionary approach to making change within the electricity system; consolidations should be voluntary and supported where they serve the best interests of customers.
- Consider merging the Independent Electricity System Operator and the Ontario Power Authority or rationalizing their responsibilities.
- Reform electricity distribution regulation to allow utilities to better invest in system repair and upgrades.
- Allow local utilities the flexibility to design and deliver conservation programs that meet their customers' needs.
The full report is available on the EDA Website at www.eda-on.ca
About the EDA
The Electricity Distributors Association (EDA) is the voice of all 77 of Ontario's local electricity distributors, the publicly and privately owned companies that safely and reliably deliver electricity to more than 4.7 million Ontario homes, businesses and public institutions.
For further information:
Manager, Communications, Marketing and Media Relations
W. (905) 265-5337
C. (647) 627-1826