LAVAL, QC, Jan. 12 /CNW Telbec/ - On Christmas Eve and New Year's Day, the Société de transport de Laval (STL) transported its riders free of charge, while asking them to make a donation in aid of needy school children. In so doing, the transit corporation raised $8525.70 ($4691.80 on December 24 and $3833.90 on the 31st).
These proceeds went to Centre de bénévolat de Laval, through the Boomerang Committee, in order to offer breakfast snacks to needy students at a few schools located on the territory served by the STL.
Free transportation on December 24 and 31 isn't only a gift to riders; it also contributes toward the campaign against drinking and driving.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20 million runs annually.
- The overhaul of the bus network, made necessary by the extension of the
metro to Laval, gave rise to a 28% increase in service, faster trips
and more direct bus routes.
- The frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends,
has doubled on 12 lines since August 2009.
- The fare policy is particularly designed to encourage families to use
public transit: All adults paying their fare on weekends and holidays
may be accompanied, free of charge, by up to five children age 11 and
under. This policy also applies to every day in the summer, July 1 -
Labour Day. In addition, the STL's $1 fares on summer smog days are a
first in Québec.
- The STL is carrying out a feasibility study for a trolleybus network
powered by electrical energy.
- It is financing Éco Mobile à Laval, a major operation of Vélo Québec
and aimed at promoting alternate solutions to car use.
- It is also partnering with the Association québécoise de lutte contre
la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and The Carpooling Network to
promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5, a fuel that comes from
recycled oil that isn't made of corn.
- By spring 2010, STL Synchro will be available on buses and via text
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Director, Communications & Marketing, Société de transport de Laval, (450) 662-5429, firstname.lastname@example.org