Ontario Trillium Foundation recognizes project's outstanding impact
TORONTO, Feb. 22, 2012 /CNW/ -
The Ontario Trillium Foundation today announced that Durham Sustain Ability is a finalist for the prestigious 2012 Great Grants Awards. The awards recognize Ontario organizations that have demonstrated exceptional results, innovation and a lasting impact on the communities they serve.
Durham Sustain Ability has been selected as a finalist in the environment category. A total of eight 2012 Great Grants Awards recipients will be recognized in the presence of Hon. Michael Chan, Ontario Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, at a ceremony in Toronto on March 23.
Durham Sustain Ability
Engaging residents, businesses and municipalities to build a more sustainable environment
Talking about creating a sustainable environment is one thing. Doing it is another. At Durham Sustain Ability (DSA), this environmental not-for-profit and social enterprise focuses on educating residents and businesses, and develops practical sustainability programs for communities and municipalities. The Foundation's funding helped DSA engage with more than 7,000 Durham Region citizens through its various educational and outreach programs like EcoHomes, EcoMunicipalities, EcoBusiness and EcoSchools. DSA was also retained by three north Durham municipalities to coordinate the development of an Integrated Community Sustainability Plan. This multi-municipality collaboration is one of the first of its kind in the province.
Durham Sustain Ability was awarded a Community grant of $193,800 over three years in 2008.
"We are very proud of Durham Sustain Ability, and are excited that, with this nomination, its work in the community will now be acknowledged across Ontario. Its efforts go to the heart of the Foundation's own work: to support good ideas and help foster community connections that improve people's quality of life."
Pramilla Ramdahani, Chair of Grant Review Team for Durham, Haliburton, Kawartha and Pine Ridge, OTF
"The funding that Durham Sustain Ability received from the Ontario Trillium Foundation has allowed us to provide education, programming and services that have created positive change and helped to mobilize the Durham Region community. The Team at DSA is excited and honoured to be considered for this prestigious award."
Shawna Mutton, Executive Director, Durham Sustain Ability
- Ontario Trillium Foundation Great Grants Award finalists were selected from among some 4,500 groups that received OTF support between April 2006 and December 2010
- Eight Great Grants Awards will be presented on March 23 in Toronto:
- One award for each of OTF's four funded sectors: arts and culture, sports and recreation, environment, and human and social services
- The Minister's Award
- The Chair's Award
- The CEO's Award
- The People's Choice Award
- OTF grants funding to approximately 1,500 organizations each year.
- Photo of Durham Sustain Ability at http://otf.ca/en/newsCentre/gg_finalists_2012.asp#durham
- View 2012 Great Grants Awards Finalists
- View voting page for People's Choice Award at: http://otf.ca/fr/Newsmodule/index.aspx?newsId=6TXlYUcA0RflC4mq9n3VWgeQuAleQuAl
- Learn more about the Ontario Trillium Foundation
For further information:
Ontario Trillium Foundation
1.800.263.2887 ext. 265
Durham Sustain Ability