THORNHILL, ON, June 21, 2016 /CNW/ - Hot temperatures, sticky humidity and long drives can be tough on your car, that's why CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) recommends regular vehicle maintenance to help handle the harsh summer heat.
Ten tips to help prevent your vehicle from getting scorched:
- Flush your antifreeze before it becomes acidic and causes damage.
- Clean the top of your car battery and the connections to prevent discharge.
- Park in the shade to avoid the sun's rays and use a sunshade across the dashboard to protect your car's interior. When the temperature reaches 30° C outside, the inside of your vehicle can feel like 50° C.
- Avoid the use of acid-base tire cleaners as they can cause rubber to crack.
- Wash your vehicle regularly to prevent damage from dead bugs, acid rain, tree sap and bird droppings.
- Replace cracked or torn windshield wipers and stock up on washer fluid to maximize your visibility.
- Inspect and replace air filters as they may become clogged with dirt, debris and dust.
- Inflate your tires properly, as heat causes tires to expand and overinflated tires can cause uneven tire wear or even a blowout.
- Change your engine oil regularly to reduce accelerated wear due to heat.
During the sizzling summer months, your car battery can lose its charge 33 per cent faster than in the frigid winter weather. CAA's mobile Battery Service responds to approximately 40,000 battery-related calls during July, August and September.
Before your next road trip, visit a CAA Approved Auto Repair Service facility for a thorough vehicle inspection.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and member savings for our 2 million members.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.