Canadians urged to pack up some bed bug prevention tips before travelling
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Dec. 1, 2015 /CNW/ - During the winter holidays, a quarter of Canadians travel away from home, often staying in hotels, which makes them vulnerable to one of nature's sneakiest hitchhikers, according to Orkin Canada, the country's leading pest control company. Bed bugs can hide in almost any place, including luggage, clothes, and people, hitching a ride back to homes, apartments, condos, townhouses and offices.
"Against popular belief, a bed bug infestation has nothing to do with cleanliness – you can pick them up in even the finest hotels, and they can hitchhike into the cleanest homes at any time," says Dr. Alice Sinia, resident entomologist at Orkin Canada. "Once indoors, bed bugs can be extremely difficult to get rid of without the help of an experienced pest professional."
However, there are ways Canadian travellers can help reduce their chances of taking bed bugs home. Dr. Sinia advises Canadians to remember a simple acronym – S.L.E.E.P:
- Survey surfaces for signs of infestation such as tiny rust-coloured spots on bed sheets, mattress tags and seams, and bed skirts.
- Look for bedbug hiding spots, including underneath the mattress, bed frame, headboard, and furniture. Typically, they come out at night to feed, but during the day, they are mostly found on or within a 5-foot radius of the bed.
- Elevate luggage on a luggage rack away from the bed and wall, since bed bugs can often hide behind head boards, artwork, picture frames and electrical outlet panels.
- Examine luggage carefully while repacking and when you return home. Always keep luggage off the bed and store it in a closet or other area, far away from your bedroom.
- Place all clothing from luggage immediately in the dryer for at least 15 minutes at the highest setting allowed for the fabric upon returning home from travel.
About Orkin Canada
Orkin Canada, a wholly owned subsidiary of Rollins, Inc. (NYSE: ROL) is the country's largest pest control provider and leader in the development of fast, effective and environmentally responsible pest control solutions. One key program is the Home Pest Protection Program that prevents and eradicates pest infestations and provides key information about pests. Orkin Canada provides professional services to both residential and commercial clients from coast to coast. For more information, visit www.orkincanada.ca, like www.facebook.com/OrkinCan or follow @orkincanada.
SOURCE Orkin Canada
Image with caption: "Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite this Holiday Season (CNW Group/Orkin Canada)". Image available at: https://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151201_C6832_PHOTO_EN_556270.jpg
For further information: For media inquiries, contact Brown & Cohen Communications & Public Affairs Inc., 416-484-1132,Tim Lai, ext. 4, email@example.com