- Protect Yourself and Loved Ones from Radiation with Simple Tips -
TORONTO, Nov. 16, 2012 /CNW/ - Whether you're planning on giving a smartphone as a gift this holiday, or simply using one yourself, it's time for Canadians to smarten up about the potential health risks created by wireless technologies. With smartphone users topping 1 billion people globally in the third quarter of 2012, Citizens for Safe Technology (C4ST) is offering the following tips for safe use of your smartphone:
- Sleep tight - Don't keep your smartphone near your body or even on your bedside table at night.
- Use your head - Keep your smartphone away from your head and out of your pocket. Use the speaker or earplugs instead and avoid putting the phone to your head, especially while the unit is dialing or ringing as radiation is at its highest levels.
- Child's play - Do NOT allow a child to hold a cell or smartphone to their head, even for play. Turn the device off before you give it to them to handle. Research shows that a child's skull is softer and absorbs more radiation than an adult's.
- Take flight - Switch your smartphone or tablet to "Airplane Mode" to prevent the emission of electromagnetic waves.
"Wireless technology is increasingly part of our lives, but Canadians need to consider some simple steps to protect themselves and their families from the radiation they create," said Frank Clegg, CEO of C4ST and former President of Microsoft Canada. "Studies show the average smartphone or other popular wireless devices create low levels of radiation, but in close proximity for long periods of time - say, a smartphone carried in your pocket - they can impact your health."
Citizens for Safe Technology, an organization committed to teaching Canadians how to use their wireless technology safely, is reminding people that wireless devices like smart phones emit electromagnetic radiation that could be a cause of cancer and other negative health impacts, including electromagnetic sensitivity.
C4ST is also cautioning Canadians to be aware of the health impacts caused by other wireless technologies, such as baby monitors, cordless phones, laptops and even smart meters. All of these wireless technologies emit low levels of radiation that can have health effects ranging from headaches and nausea, to more serious illnesses. Visit www.c4st.org or www.facebook.com/c4st.org for more information about how to protect yourself and your family from electromagnetic radiation.
SOURCE: Citizens for Safe Technology
For further information: