CALGARY, Sept. 11, 2012 /CNW/ - The legacy of legendary philanthropist Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman lives on through the $10 million Daryl K. Seaman Canadian Hockey Fund, an endowment fund established at The Calgary Foundation that is providing much needed support to amateur ice hockey and registered Canadian athletic associations.
Doc Seaman has been described as a hero, icon, and visionary philanthropist. A man who believed that inspired giving could transform the world, Doc was passionate about his community and his philanthropy touched all of Canada. In 1995, he established a Fund at The Calgary Foundation to support hundreds of charitable organizations, in all sectors of the community, in addressing immediate and emerging needs.
"Doc Seaman spent a lifetime quietly devoted to serving his community and his country," says Eva Friesen, President & CEO of The Calgary Foundation. "He was a leading philanthropist, and his passion for hockey and amateur sports leaves a lasting legacy."
The Daryl K. Seaman Canadian Hockey Fund was established to support:
- all aspects of amateur ice hockey in Canada;
- registered amateur athletic associations and;
- other general charitable purposes
Entering its third granting cycle in Fall 2012, the Fund has previously granted over $500,000 in support of Canadian amateur ice hockey and athletics, including:
- Hockey Calgary / Calgary Police Service Power Play Program
- Designed to provide free hockey instruction to youth facing cultural or financial hurdles, including many new immigrant children.
- Village of Longview 'Xtreme Makeover' Phase 2 Rink Upgrade
- The existing outdoor rink was transformed into a multi-season/multi-use recreational area for the small Alberta community with the inclusion of basketball and tennis nets, and skate park equipment
- Greater Bragg Creek Trails Association West Bragg Creek Trail Construction
- Development of 21 km of non-motorized recreational trails for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, cross country skiing and snowshoeing as part of Alberta's West Bragg Creek All Season Trails Plan
Qualified donees from across the country are invited to apply for large or small grants from the Daryl K. Seaman Canadian Hockey Fund by November 15, 2012. Application guidelines and forms can be found at www.thecalgaryfoundation.org
The Calgary Foundation (TCF) - Established in 1955, TCF facilitates collaborative philanthropy by making powerful connections between donors and community organizations for the long term benefit of Calgary and surrounding area. In 2011-2012 The Calgary Foundation saw $56 million in new contributions, had an asset base of $425 million and granted $31.9 million to 686 charitable organizations.
Image with caption: "Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman (CNW Group/The Calgary Foundation)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120911_C4574_PHOTO_EN_17564.jpg
SOURCE: The Calgary Foundation
For further information: