February 16 is Lunch Money Day and thousands of Torontonians will support Second Harvest to rescue excess food and feed our neighbours in need.
TORONTO, Feb. 15, 2012 /CNW/ - "Lettuce Give" - Thursday, February 16 is Second Harvest's 14th annual Lunch Money Day. This grassroots campaign asks Torontonians to donate the equivalent of what they usually spend on lunch to Second Harvest - the largest food rescue program in Canada.
Volunteers will be collecting donations across the city, in subway and PATH locations. "Peas give", and join the thousands of Torontonians who participate in Lunch Money Day. Help us raise enough funds to rescue excess food and provide 525,000 meals for our neighbours in need. For every $10 donation, Second Harvest can provide enough food for 20 meals for Toronto's hungry.
Get involved and show that you "give a shiitake" by taking part in the fun-filled Lunch Money Day activities taking place throughout the city:
- Join us for lunch at Yonge-Dundas Square - Bring your friends and co-workers and come sample delicious food and drink from 11am - 2pm. Chefs will be serving fun and tasty dishes for only $2 to $5. All proceeds raised from this event will go to Second Harvest.
- Order-in - Purchase your lunch or dinner on Just-Eat.ca. Just-Eat.ca will donate a portion of all sales from February 16 to Second Harvest. Order from or visit Salad King on Lunch Money Day and 100% of all net proceeds will be donated back to Second Harvest.
- Giddy-Up - During the month of February, purchase a Cowboy Cookie at Dufflet Pastries locations in the GTA and $1 for each cookie sold will be donated to Second Harvest.
- Dine-out - Visit Calphalon Culinary Center between 12 - 2pm and enjoy a delicious $5 lunch.
- Get a deal - Visit Dealicious.ca on February 16 and get a deal on a meal at Pero Restaurant and Lounge. 1% of the proceeds from this Dealicious deal will go to Second Harvest.
Second Harvest would like to thank its generous sponsors: Metro, Janes Family Foods, Nelson Education, South St. Burger Co., CP24, Captivate Network, National Post, Metagraphic Network, Purolator, and Top Drawer Creative. Visit lunchmoneyday.com to learn more about the campaign and the activities happening on February 16.
About Second Harvest
Second Harvest is the largest food rescue program in Canada. Since 1985, Second Harvest has been picking up donated, excess food, which would have otherwise gone to waste and delivering that food to community agencies in Toronto. Every day Second Harvest delivers enough food to provide 18,000 meals to over 200 community agencies in Toronto. Recognized for efficiency and impact of services, independent research group Charity Intelligence Canada has named Second Harvest a Recommended Charity for the past three years.
For further information:
For more information or to schedule an interview please contact: