MOOSE JAW, SK, Sept. 20, 2018 /CNW/ - If you are a farmer living in Northern Saskatchewan and you've got unwanted agricultural pesticides and outdate livestock medications at the back of a farm shed, Cleanfarms has important news for you. From October 1 to 5, Cleanfarms is running special, one-day collection events at 20 designated agriculture retail locations throughout the northern half of the province.
Cleanfarms will accept materials at no charge and dispose of them safely and responsibly. Each special collection event runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Materials accepted in the Cleanfarms program include:
- old or unwanted agricultural pesticides (identified with a Pest Control Product number on the label), and
- livestock medications that are used in the rearing of animals in an agricultural context (identified with a DIN number, serial number or Pest Control Product number on the label.
The program will not accept:
- fertilizer, diluted solution, large quantities of unopened product, and treated seed
- needles/sharps, medicated feed, aerosol containers, premises disinfectants/sanitizers, veterinary clinic waste and medications, ear tags, and aerosols
- any other household hazardous waste.
The program is funded by the crop protection industry and the Canadian Animal Health Institute and operated by Cleanfarms. A non-profit environmental stewardship organization, Cleanfarms works collaboratively with industry members, agricultural organizations and associations, and the government to ensure that Canadian farmers have opportunities to manage agricultural waste responsibly. Last year, Cleanfarms collected 181,804 kg of unwanted pesticides and 2,804 kg of livestock and equine medications in southern Saskatchewan.
If you are unsure whether your product fits the scope of this collection, please call 877-622-4460 or email Cleanfarms at [email protected].
Collection will be scheduled again in southern Saskatchewan in the fall of 2020. Cleanfarms asks that farmers store unwanted pesticides and old livestock medications safely until Cleanfarms' collection comes back to your region.
SOURCE Cleanfarms Inc.
For further information: Barbara McConnell, P. 613-471-1816, M. 416-452-2373