Dealing with wet and windy weather in Atlantic Canada

HALIFAX, Sept. 22, 2014 /CNW/ - High winds and rainy weather have caused headaches over the last 24 hours in parts of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. As communities begin recovery efforts, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is a helpful resource with respect to insurance questions.

"IBC understands the toll that these types of events can have on communities and families. We encourage residents with questions to contact their local insurance representative," said Amanda Dean, Vice-President, Atlantic, IBC. "For further information on home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-800-565-7189 ext. 228 or visit We are here to help."

Here are some things to keep in mind when making an insurance claim:  

Contact Your Insurance Representative

If you have not already done so, contact your insurance representative to report any damage and to determine exactly what is covered under your policy.

What Home Insurance Covers

  • Wind-related damage caused by a storm is typically covered.
  • Damage to your house, shed or fence caused by fallen trees is typically covered. Depending on your policy, the cost of cleaning up tree debris may also be covered.
  • Damage from rain entering through a broken window or damaged roof is generally covered, but may not be covered under some policies. Check the wording in your policy for specific details.
  • Loss of freezer contents due to an extended power outage is typically covered. But check with your insurance representative to see what your policy covers.

What Auto Insurance Covers (having Comprehensive or All Risk)

  • Flood damage to your car is typically covered.
  • Wind damage, such as a broken windshield caused by falling or blowing debris.

Easing the Claims Process

  • If the damage to your home is related to the weather, insurance companies may be handling a higher number of claims. It may take some time, but you will be contacted by your insurer about your claim.
  • If you have not already done so, and it is safe to do so, start taking pictures or video of the damage to your property.
  • If it is safe to do so, start cleaning up and drying things out, and protect your property from further damage (e.g., board up holes and move items out of wet basements).

Frequently Asked Questions

My home was damaged by a fallen tree. Is that covered?

If a tree has fallen on your house, shed or fence, the damage is likely covered, along with the cost of cleaning up debris.

If a tree has fallen on your car, you will be covered as long as you have comprehensive or All Risk coverage for your automobile. 

Every policy is unique, so speak with your insurance representative to review your coverage.

My roof was damaged and this resulted in water damage to my home. Will my insurance take care of this?

Damage to your home and its contents resulting from water entering through an opening created by the storm may be covered under your home insurance policy. Check with your own insurance representative as some policies contain an exclusion for any roof damage.   

Will my insurance policy cover spoiled food due to power outages?

Many homeowner's, condominium and tenant's policies cover loss of freezer contents in the event of an extended power outage. Check with your insurance representative to see if you have this coverage and if any limits or deductibles apply. 

The near-by river overflowed and water entered my home through the door, will my insurance cover this?

Home insurance policies do not typically provide coverage for flood water entering your home through windows or doors. 

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is pleased to celebrate 50 years as a valuable resource for insurance information. Since 1964, IBC has been working with governments across Canada to make our communities safer, championing issues that directly affect Canadians and the property and casualty (P&C) insurance industry. IBC is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the P&C insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 118,600 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes and levies to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $48 billion.

To view media releases and other information, visit the media section of IBC's website at Follow IBC on Twitter @IBC_Atlantic or like us on Facebook.

If you require more information, IBC spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media release.

SOURCE: Insurance Bureau of Canada

For further information: To schedule an interview, please contact: Celyeste Power, Manager, Media Relations, Insurance Bureau of Canada, 416-362-2031 ext. 4312 (daytime), 647-384-9872 (after hours),


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890