Canadians have until June 27 to submit nominations for the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case
OTTAWA, June 17, 2014 /CNW/ - The Call for Nominations for the 35th Annual Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case was launched by Status of Women Canada. Each year, these awards recognize five individuals, including two youth, who have made outstanding contributions to the goal of equality for girls and women in Canada.
Canadians are encouraged to nominate candidates from all across Canada and from all walks of life. Past candidates have been academics, corporate leaders, volunteers, advocates and artists. While nominations are accepted all year, the deadline for nominating someone for the 2014 awards is June 27.
- The Government of Canada instituted these awards in 1979 to honour the 50th anniversary of the Persons Case and the five Alberta women whose determination led to a landmark victory in the struggle of Canadian women for equality.
- The Famous Five achieved not only the right for women to serve in the Senate but helped pave the way for women to participate in all other aspects of public life.
- Persons Case Awards recipients continue the tradition of courage, integrity and hard work that the Famous Five inspired.
- The nomination process is simple. Instructions and a nomination form can be found on the Status of Women Canada web site.
- To be eligible for nomination, candidates must be Canadian citizens. Candidates for the youth category must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years.
- Nominations for the 2014 awards must be received on or before June 27, 2014.
- The recipients of the Persons Case Awards will be announced in the fall of 2014.
- April 17 is Equality Day, which marks the coming into force of the equality provisions in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms on April 17, 1982.
- The nomination form and instructions are available at: http://www.swc-cfc.gc.ca/commemoration/gg/propose-proposez-eng.html
- Information about the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case
- Information about the Famous Five
- Information about Status of Women Canada at women.gc.ca
Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information:
Director General, Communications and Public Affairs
Status of Women Canada
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.