Innovation sets the backdrop for Canada's best trade show for two years running
TORONTO, May 15, 2012 /CNW/ - With a World Record under its belt and named Canada's best trade show for two years in a row, Discovery 12, hosted by Ontario Centres of Excellence, brings together entrepreneurs, industry, investors, academia and government all under one roof. Spanning two days, the conference and show floor are brimming with the latest in innovation featuring hundreds of exhibitors in sectors including, digital media and interactive communications technologies, advanced health, manufacturing and cleantech.
"Discovery is a unique forum surrounded by innovation as the backdrop to discuss and share best practices, ideas, network and to see and experience the latest in cutting-edge inventions," explains Dr. Tom Corr, President and CEO, Ontario Centres of Excellence.
"Discovery 12 is a showcase of Ontario's success - with over 2000 participants and 300 exhibitors, it's the largest show of its kind. Today I will be spending time with not only our leading entrepreneurs, but the innovators of tomorrow. Ontario's future has never been brighter," says Brad Duguid, Minister of Economic Development and Innovation.
DAY 2 Highlights include:
- Making tomorrow's grid smarter, greener and more cost effective - novel ways of storing electrical energy with companies including Temporal Power, Electrovaya, London Hydro and Hydrostor
- How Blue is your Bottom Line - How communities and businesses are addressing their bottom lines to make water a priority and taking advantage of its opportunity
- David Teten, serial entrepreneur, Partner with ff Venture Capital and Founder and Chairman of the Harvard Business School Alumni Angels of Greater New York, will discuss free and ridiculously-low-cost tools to refine a start-up idea and provide insights into what you can learn from the customers who need your solution the most
- How Ontario is growing globally competitive companies in the water sector while implementing solutions in our own communities and providing high-value jobs
- See the next generation of rapid prototyping technology with examples of parts being made right before your eyes
- Discovery Innovation Showcase - Explore over 200,000 sq. feet of new ideas, innovations and solutions in CleanTech, Health, Digital, Information and Communications Technologies, Advanced Manufacturing and more, that are shaping the future of Ontario
View/download b-roll footage here:
View Discovery 12's full agenda here.
About Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) Inc. (www.oce-ontario.org)
Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) Inc. drives the commercialization of cutting-edge research across key market sectors to build the economy of tomorrow and secure Ontario's global competitiveness. In doing this, OCE fosters the training and development of the next generation of innovators and entrepreneurs and is a key partner with Ontario's industry, universities, colleges, research hospitals, investors and governments. A champion of leading-edge technologies, best practices and research, Ontario Centres of Excellence invests in sectors such as advanced health, digital media and information communications, advanced manufacturing and materials, and cleantech including energy, environment and water. OCE through its Centre for Commercialization of Research (CCR), an initiative supported by the federal government, also acts as a catalyst which allows innovative businesses to grow and achieve sustainable commercial success and global competitiveness. Ontario Centres of Excellence is a key partner in delivering Ontario's Innovation Agenda as a member of the province's Ontario Network of Excellence (ONE). Funded by the Government of Ontario, the ONE is Ontario's innovation system. The ONE is made up of regional and sector focused organizations designed to help Ontario-based entrepreneurs rapidly grow their companies, and create jobs. For more information visit www.oneinnovation.ca.
For further information:
Senior Manager, Media Relations
416-861-1092 x1034 / 416-873-1143