CIRA offers expanded protection from DDoS attacks against the DNS
This service will be offered with RISQ membership, enhancing RISQ's current security package and bringing high-performance DNS solution within reach for organizations of all sizes.
- Research and education institutions are facing new technology challenges. The need to ensure reliability and near-perfect uptime for bandwidth-intensive research projects, is combining with new cybersecurity threats, to create a significant infrastructure challenge for Canadian institutions.
- RISQ is bringing CIRA's D-Zone Anycast DNS to its members as part of its global security strategy and will act as a single point of service. Institutions interested in the services should refer to RISQ Member services.
- CIRA has built a global DNS service – rooted in a Canadian-first architecture. With a view to creating the best possible DNS for Canadian users, CIRA has invested in the Canadian footprint for its DNS service, bringing DNS servers closer to Canadian Internet users by locating nodes in Internet exchanges in cities across the country.
- This Canadian-first approach ensures that query response times are as short as possible for Canadian users, while also helping to mitigate the effect of DDoS attacks against the DNS. With most attacks originating overseas, CIRA's DNS leverages global nodes to handle malicious queries, while keeping services online in Canada.
"RISQ operates the Quebec Research and Education ultra-high speed telecommunication network. This robust infrastructure gives to its members the assurance of an effective and secure environment to exchange data and use real-time tools. This global world class service will reinforce our security package and assist us to present a more complete and integrated service offering".
- Michel Vanier, CEO at RISQ
"CIRA is providing DNS services to hundreds of research and education institutions across the country. As anchors for researchers, entrepreneurs, students, and teachers, improving the DNS performance at these institutions can have important spill-over benefits for local Internet communities. Together RISQ and CIRA are making a material improvement to the overall DNS hygiene of the Quebec market and ensuring that local institutions and Internet users can access best-in-class DNS technology."
- Dave Chiswell, VP of product development at CIRA
For more information
- RISQ members should contact [email protected], +1 514 845-7181 x246 to access this service. More information on CIRA's DNS services and how D-Zone Anycast DNS works is available at cira.ca.
- For more information on CIRA, contact Ryan Saxby Hill, Communications Manager CIRA, [email protected], 613-237-5335 ext 285 (office),613-316-2397 (mobile)
- For more information on RISQ contact [email protected], +1 514-845-7181 x221.
As a not-for-profit organization, the Quebec Scientific Information Network (RISQ) is a private telecommunications network that serves the education sector in Quebec for its training needs and research since 1989.
Endowed with a high capacity vanguard infrastructure, its network covers approximately 6,000 kilometers across Quebec and reaches more than 750 000 students, teachers and other employees. Created to provide innovative and responsive to the needs of its members solutions, RISQ offers them the best rate that provides shared resources and services, in accordance with its not-for-profit status.
RISQ also acts as an information, coordination and expertise forum. By promoting exchanges and cooperation between educational and research institutions, RISQ is a valuable resource for Quebec.
About the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. CIRA also develops technologies and services that help support its goal of building a better online Canada. The CIRA team operates one of the fastest-growing ccTLDs, a high-performance global DNS network, and one of the world's most advanced back-end registry solutions.
SOURCE Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
For further information: Ryan Saxby Hill, Communications Manager CIRA, [email protected], 613-237-5335 ext 285 (office), 613-316-2397 (mobile)