CHATHAM, ON, Oct. 29, 2012 /CNW/ - With heavy rainfall and high winds expected in the coming days, Union Gas reminds customers to take the following safety precautions in advance of inclement weather:
- Check all appliances to ensure they are in good working condition.
- Check your yard for loose materials that could be blown around by strong winds and possibly damage the natural gas meter set.
- Place all lawn furniture, hoses, garden ornaments, etc., inside your house or garage.
- It is not necessary to turn off gas service. If you are not required to evacuate your home or business, your natural gas service should operate uninterrupted throughout the storm.
If you are required to evacuate your home or business:
- Do not turn off your gas supply at the main meter. That valve should be turned on or off by emergency utility personnel only.
- If you choose to do so, you may turn off gas to individual appliances at the supply valve near each unit. Most city codes now call for a small supply turnoff valve to be located within six feet of each gas appliance. Locate the turnoff valve for each of your gas appliances and familiarize yourself with its operation before a storm occurs.
If your home experiences flooding during the storm:
- Do not enter any flooded areas with electrically-operated gas-fired equipment due to a potential electrical shock hazard, which may cause severe injury or possibly death.
- Appliances that have been submerged in water need to be inspected by a licensed gas technician or heating contractor before being reactivated. Please do not attempt to relight natural gas appliances by yourself.
- Once the flood waters recede, Union Gas representatives will go door to door to inspect, and repair your meter and regulator set if required at no charge.
If you smell gas or detect other signs of a gas leak, remember to take the following steps:
- Prevent sources of ignition. Do not touch electrical switches, light matches or candles, or use the phone.
- Exit the building immediately.
- From a neighbours house or a safe area, phone Union Gas or the fire department.
- Do not re-enter the building until it has been inspected.
To report a natural gas emergency, contact Union Gas at 1-877-969-0999. Emergencies receive top priority.
About Union Gas
Union Gas Limited is a major Canadian natural gas storage, transmission and distribution company based in Ontario with 100 years of experience and service to customers. The distribution business serves about 1.4 million residential, commercial and industrial customers in more than 400 communities across northern, southwestern and eastern Ontario. Union Gas' growing storage and transmission business offers a variety of storage and transportation services to customers at the Dawn Hub, the largest underground storage facility in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The Dawn Hub offers customers an important link in the movement of natural gas from Western Canadian and U.S. supply basins to markets in central Canada and the northeast U.S. Union Gas, named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers, for 2013, is a Spectra Energy (NYSE: SE) company with assets of $5.8 billion and approximately 2,200 employees. For more information, visit uniongas.com.
SOURCE: Union Gas Limited
For further information:
Manager, External Communications and Media Relations
Ph: 519 436-5490 or 1-800-571-8446 ext. 5490
Cell: 519 365-1010