LAVAL, QC, May 22, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - To protect the environment and cut down on greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, the Centre de santé et de services sociaux (CSSS) de Laval wants to promote—among its staff—means of transportation that are much less polluting than single-occupancy vehicle use. And that's why the CSSS has just hopped on the bandwagon of the STL Sustainable Mobility Solution.
This new service, offered by the Société de transport de Laval (STL), is for businesses and organizations that are concerned about more efficiently managing their employees' commuting.
"We fully support the principles of active transportation and public transit within a sustainable development perspective," explained France Ferron, assistant director of technical resources at the CSSS de Laval. With the STL's assistance, we want to change our employees' habits in order to prompt them to make greater use of buses, metro and bicycles or to opt for carpooling."
STL specialists will be supporting CSSS authorities all throughout this process, from the analysis stage right up to installing the measures selected. The CSSS de Laval has no less than 7,000 employees, spread out at 18 facilities (hospitals, CLSCs, CHSLDs and other locations).
"We are happy and proud to be turning our expertise to good account in order to serve such a major employer," pointed out STL Chairman Jean-Jacques Beldié. This will be an opportunity for us to test our methods and refine them in order to maximize their scope."
The STL is encouraging big and small, public and private local businesses and organizations to follow in the CSSS' footsteps and to register in turn.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20-million runs annually.
- The STL has rolled out its STLSynchro system, which informs transit users, in real time, about bus schedules and progress along the routes.
- The overhaul of its bus network, made necessary by the extension of the metro to Laval, gave rise to a 32% increase in service, faster trips, more direct bus routes and a greater frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends.
- The STL has also joined forces with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and the Carpooling Network, to promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL is registered on Twitter and has its own page on Facebook, where it announces service notices.
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on My STL in order to receive notices on the bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system, the STL's on-time performance rates continue to improve, and to date, it has succeeded in achieving rates of over 92%.
- The STL has received a number of awards of distinction, including one from the AQTR in 2010: the Grand Prix for excellence in mass transit, positioning it as an outstanding corporation.
- In 2011, the STL was honoured with the AQTR's general public communication award for its Smog Alert program.
For further information: