TORONTO, June 12, 2012 /CNW/ - CSA Group, a leading standards-based solutions organization, today officially announces the recipients of the 2012 Award of Merit. The Award of Merit is an honour bestowed by CSA Group to individuals that have demonstrated leadership in developing Canadian voluntary standards and who, through technical, administrative, or special standards activities, have advanced the purpose of CSA Group.
The 2012 Awards of Merit were presented by Bob Cook, Chair of the Board, CSA Group, at a special awards ceremony held during the CSA Group Annual Conference in Quebec City, Quebec.
"This year's Award of Merit recipients have all significantly contributed towards the health and safety of Canadians nationwide," says Bonnie Rose "The Award itself recognizes a range of expertise in the fields of science, engineering, health and safety, and sustainability. CSA Group recognizes and applauds the outstanding dedication of each recipient toward the betterment of society through standards development."
The 2012 Awards of Merit were presented to the following individuals:
- Dr. Brahim Benmokrane of Sherbrook, Quebec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding leadership, exceptional expertise and tireless effort in advancing standards related to construction materials and structures. Dr. Benmokrane is a Professor of Civil Engineering at the Université de Sherbrooke.
- Mr. Michael Birks of Moffat, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of long-standing participation, exceptional knowledge and strong leadership in development of plumbing standards and the protection of public water supplies. Mr. Birks is the Director of Sales and Marketing at The Birks Company.
- Mr. Andrei Blahoianu of Ottawa, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional leadership and broad involvement in pressure retaining components, structural and seismic design standards, and for persistent advocacy of CSA Group's nuclear safety program. Mr. Andrei Blahoianu is the Director of Engineering Design Assessment Division of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC).
- Mr. William Carson of Whitby, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of valued expertise and superior leadership in developing and advancing standards related to health care facility engineering and building commissioning. Mr. Carson works at W.D Carson and Associates.
- Mr. Pierre Desilets of Pointe-Claire, Quebec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated leadership, invaluable counsel and exceptional knowledge in developing and advancing a broad spectrum of electrical standards and codes. Mr. Desilets is the Manager of Product Training and Regulatory Affairs at Leviton Manufacturing of Canada Limited.
- Mr. Gerry Granek of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated service, remarkable knowledge and valued influence in the area of health care facility engineering and physical environment, and the pioneering of smoke control measures in high rise office buildings. Mr. Granek retired as a professional mechanical engineer and continued to work 20 additional years into his retirement to develop standards that help protect staff and patients in health care facilities.
- Mr. Gary Hamer of Burnaby, British Columbia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of fine leadership, trusted mentorship and valued guidance in the area of energy efficiency for residential equipment and appliances. Mr. Hamer is a Technology and Innovation Manager at BC Hydro.
- Mr. Roy Hughes of North Vancouver, British Columbia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of extensive knowledge, generous mentorship and strong leadership in developing and advancing energy efficiency and lighting performance standards. Mr. Hughes is the Principal at Hughes Engineering.
- Mr. Dan Murray of Burlington, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated involvement, valued insight and long-standing contribution to chainsaw standards and workplace safety. Mr. Murray retired in 2000 from his post as Manager, Technical Services for John Deere consumer products, but continues to be active in CSA standards development work and in representing the organization and its standards to international groups.
- Dr. A. Ghani Razaqpur of Hamilton, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of inspiration leadership, pioneering work and passionate commitment to standards for infrastructure durability, sustainability and security. Dr. Razaqpur is a Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at McMaster University.
- Mr. Peter Rogers of St. John's, Newfoundland receives the Award of Merit in recognition of influential leadership, technical expertise and guidance in the area of steel and concrete structures and offshore structures. Mr. Rogers is a TN Technical Services Consultant with Suncor Energy Inc.
- Ms. Linda Sagmeister of Mount Pearl, Newfoundland receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated leadership, exemplary problem-solving skills and tenacious commitment to ergonomics and workplace health and safety standards. Ms. Sagmeister is an Ergonomist with the Department of Government Services Occupational Health and Safety Division.
The CSA Award of Merit
The Award of Merit was created in 1979 to honour and recognize leadership in Canadian voluntary standards development. Nominations are open to all present or past CSA Group voting members, as well as former CSA Group employees that have: served in CSA Group committee activity or other associated standardization work; showed leadership in technical, administrative, or special committee activities; published papers, or made public addresses, which have been of special benefit to the work of the Association; and have advanced the prestige or interest of CSA Group.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is an independent, not-for-profit membership association dedicated to safety, social good and sustainability. Its knowledge and expertise encompass standards development; training and advisory solutions; global testing and certification services across key business areas including hazardous location and industrial, plumbing and construction, medical, safety and technology, appliances and gas, alternative energy, lighting and sustainability; as well as consumer product evaluation services. The CSA certification mark appears on billions of products worldwide. For more information about CSA Group visit www.csagroup.org
Version française disponible
For further information: