Canadians invited to share their views
OTTAWA and GATINEAU, QC, Feb, 28, 2019 /CNW/ - Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today launched a review to examine the state of the mobile wireless market and whether further action is required to improve choice and affordability for Canadians.
The CRTC is also seeking comments on its preliminary view that mobile virtual network operators should have mandated access to the networks of the national wireless providers (Bell Mobility, Rogers and Telus) until they are able to establish themselves in the market.
Finally, the Commission will be looking ahead to the future of mobile wireless services in Canada and in particular at whether regulatory measures are needed to facilitate the deployment of 5G network infrastructure.
Canadians are invited to share their views by May 15, 2019. They can do so by:
- filling out the online form
- writing to the Secretary General, CRTC, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2, or
- sending a fax to (819) 994-0218.
"While the wireless industry has grown and evolved over the last few years, progress has been slow in certain areas. We are concerned as to whether the needs of Canadians are being fully met. We want to ensure that all Canadians benefit from a robust and competitive mobile wireless market that provides a choice of affordable and innovative services."
Ian Scott, Chairperson and CEO of the CRTC
- In 2015, the CRTC published its framework for wholesale wireless services, which required Bell Mobility, Rogers and Telus to introduce a wholesale roaming service and make it available to competitors at prescribed rates.
- Since 2015, the CRTC has announced key decisions on mobile wireless services, including an updated Wireless Code, the introduction of lower-cost data-only plans, and finalized wholesale roaming rates.
- The CRTC will hold a public hearing starting on January 13, 2020, in the National Capital Region as part of this review.
- CRTC 2019-57 – Notice of Consultation to review the mobile wireless market
- CRTC takes steps to make lower-cost data-only wireless plans widely available to Canadians
- CRTC Regulatory Policy 2015-177 - Regulatory framework for wholesale mobile wireless services
SOURCE Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
For further information: Media Relations, (819) 997-9403; General Inquiries, (819) 997-0313, Toll-free 1 (877) 249-CRTC (2782), TTY (819) 994-0423