TORONTO, Dec. 12, 2017 /CNW/ - OMVIC, Ontario's vehicle sales regulator, has ordered the IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION of Min Tian operating as Nice Auto Sales, located at 4032 Finch Avenue East, Scarborough. As a result, Tian and Nice Auto Sales cannot legally sell, lease, buy or consign vehicles.
In conjunction with the immediate suspension order OMVIC issued:
- a Proposal to Revoke the Registration of Min (Tammie) Tian o/a Nice Auto Sales
- a Proposal to Refuse the Registration of Zhijun (Jason) Wang
According to OMVIC, CEO and Registrar John Carmichael, Immediate Suspensions are only issued when the regulator believes a dealer's conduct "may place the car-buying public at risk". The suspension of Nice Auto Sales was triggered following an OMVIC inspection and investigation whose findings alleged:
- Tian employed an unregistered salesperson, Zhijun Wang. Wang was previously charged by OMVIC and convicted for illegal vehicle sales and committing an unfair business practice related to rolled-back odometers
- Tian allowed an unregistered salesperson (Wang) to use her identification documents and gain access to the controlled areas of a wholesale auction where he traded hundreds of vehicles
- Tian allowed an unregistered salesperson (Wang) to sell vehicles to retail customers of Nice Auto Sales
- Tian did not disclose to the Registrar that Wang was an interested person in the dealership
- Wang (and the dealer) misrepresented the true distance a vehicle had travelled on a retail customer's bill of sale
- Wang (and the dealer) misrepresented the true distance a vehicle had travelled on a wholesale bill of sale
- Wang (and the dealer) failed to disclose many vehicles sold had previously been registered in other states or provinces
- Wang (and the dealer) failed to accurately disclose the accident history of some vehicles sold
Consumers are warned not to buy or lease vehicles from, or sell or consign vehicles to, Nice Auto Sales or Min Tian while the dealer's registration is suspended; additionally, consumers are warned not to buy or lease vehicles from, or sell or consign vehicles to, Zhijun (Jason) Wang. Consumers who trade with an unregistered business or individual are not protected by the Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund.
Note: Within 15 days of the issuance of an immediate suspension order a hearing will be held before the Licence Appeal Tribunal. The Tribunal will determine if the order should be extended until a final determination is made regarding the associated Proposal(s) to Revoke/Refuse Registration.
Consumers with questions or concerns should contact OMVIC's Complaints and Inquiries Team at 416-226-4500x3942.
About OMVIC Registration
Ontario's Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) requires all dealers and salespeople be registered with OMVIC. Unregistered selling (curbsiding) is a serious offence. Individuals convicted of curbsiding can be fined $50,000 and/or be jailed for up to two years less a day.
OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) administers and enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) on behalf of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. OMVIC maintains a fair and informed vehicle sales marketplace by regulating dealers and salespersons, regularly inspecting Ontario's 8,000 dealerships and 27,900 salespeople, maintaining a complaint line for consumers and conducting investigations and prosecutions (or discipline proceedings) of industry misconduct and illegal sales (curbsiding). OMVIC also administers the Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund on behalf of its Board of Trustees.
About the Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund
The Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund is funded by Ontario's registered motor vehicle dealers and provides compensation to consumers who have a valid claim against an Ontario-registered dealer. Qualifying consumers may be eligible to receive up to $45,000 for each valid claim to the Compensation Fund. Since its inception on July 1, 1986, the Compensation Fund has reimbursed consumers more than $5 million.
SOURCE Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC)
For further information: Terry O'Keefe, Director of Communications, 416-226-4500 x3525, [email protected]; Amanda Risser, Senior Communications Officer, 416-226-4500 x3172, [email protected]; Daphne Boxill, Communications Officer, 416-226-4500 x3185, [email protected]