KING CITY, ON, Oct. 27, 2014 /CNW/ - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Seneca College have shortlisted three teams to design, build and finance the Seneca College King Campus phase one expansion project in King City.
The shortlisted teams, each of which includes a developer/builder, designer and a financial advisor, will be invited to respond to a request for proposals in late 2014. The teams are:
- EllisDon Corporation
- Developer: EllisDon Corporation
- Design: MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects / Montgomery Sisam Architects
- Construction: EllisDon Corporation
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
- PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
- Developer: PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
- Design: NORR
- Construction: PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
- Financial Advisor: TD Securities
- E2P Educational & Environmental Partnership
- Developer: E2P Educational & Environmental Partnership
- Design: IBI and Teeple Architects Inc.
- Construction: Bird Construction and Plan Group
- Financial Advisor: Stonebridge
These teams were shortlisted following a request-for-qualifications process, which began in April 2014. The selection criteria included the teams' construction capability, experience and financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and scope.
The Seneca College King Campus is home to approximately 3,500 full-time students. Phase one of the expansion will create space for an additional 1,450 students, while enhancing the quality of student learning and campus life. When this project is complete, the King Campus location will provide teaching and learning opportunities for approximately 5,000 full-time students.
The King Campus phase one expansion project includes:
- A new academic facility to accommodate approximately 25 new classrooms, computer labs, specialty labs for training health-care practitioners, a library, learning commons, and student study space.
- A new student centre, which will include a multi-purpose athletic and recreation space featuring a gymnasium, fitness centre, informal study areas and event spaces, partially funded by the Seneca Student Federation and the Student Athletic Association.
- Minor renovation to Garriock Hall — the main academic facility — and to existing site services.
IO and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities are working together with Seneca to procure and deliver the new facilities.
IO is a Crown agency of the Province of Ontario that works to deliver public benefits through partnerships with the private sector. IO delivers large, complex public infrastructure projects using a made-in-Ontario modern procurement and project management practice called Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP). IO also partners with the private sector to manage one of the largest real estate portfolios in Canada, provides municipalities and eligible public sector clients with loans to renew public infrastructure, and leverages its private-sector expertise to advise the provincial public sector clients on commercial transactions.
With campuses across the Greater Toronto Area, Seneca offers degrees, diplomas and certificates renowned for their quality and respected by employers. Combining the highest academic standards with practical, hands-on learning, expert teaching faculty and the latest technology ensures Seneca graduates are career-ready.
Honourable Reza Moridi, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities
"The demand for innovative programs and additional student services at Seneca College's King Campus is growing. This expansion will help meet our government's commitment to ensuring access to a quality postsecondary education here in Ontario."
Honourable Brad Duguid, Minister of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
"The Seneca College King Campus expansion demonstrates our government's commitment to long-term investment in infrastructure, which is part of Ontario's economic plan to strengthen our education system. The state-of-the-art facilities at Seneca will ensure that students continue to have access to high-quality postsecondary education."
David Agnew, President, Seneca College
"We are delighted to be one step closer to welcoming a new partner to the King Campus expansion project. As we move toward new and revitalized space at the campus, Seneca will continue to meet the needs of our students while accommodating the growing demand for post-secondary education in York Region."
Disponible en français
SOURCE: Infrastructure Ontario
For further information: Nancy Kuyumcu, Infrastructure Ontario, 416-327-5764; Emily Milic, Seneca College, 416-491-5050 ext. 77018