MP Costas Menegakis announces support for Festival of Praise and Remembrance 2014
RICHMOND HILL, ON, Oct. 30, 2014 /CNW/ - Costas Menegakis, Member of Parliament for Richmond Hill, today announced Government of Canada funding for a musical and theatrical memorial celebrating the achievements and sacrifices of Canada's Veterans. MP Menegakis made the announcement on behalf of the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs.
Presented by Arts Richmond Hill, Festival of Praise and Remembrance 2014 is sponsored by Alliance Veterans Alliance – Les Amis, Inc. The two-day event includes visits by youth and musicians to housebound Veterans and a concert at the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts.
- Alliance Veterans Alliance – Les Amis, Inc. is receiving $5,000 through Veterans Affairs Canada's Community Engagement Partnership Fund for Festival of Praise and Remembrance 2014.
- The festival will be held November 8 and 9, 2014.
- Alliance Veterans Alliance – Les Amis, Inc. is a non-profit organization that serves to recognize and respond to the needs of Canada's Veterans by promoting awareness and community education and to inspire the youth on the values of good citizenship.
- Since 2006, the Government of Canada has approved more than $13 million, through Veterans Affairs Canada's Community Engagement Partnership Fund, in projects that recognize traditional and modern-day Canadian Veterans and those who have died in service.
- For information on Veterans Affairs Canada's commemorative activities and programs, visit veterans.gc.ca.
"Through events such as this, the lasting legacy of Canada's brave men and women is preserved for future generations. Our Government is proud to support community efforts that bring Canadians together to remember and honour the sacrifices of our Veterans and their families."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs
"It is exciting that youth are involved in this unique festival. Having youth actively engaged is important so that they may understand and honour the sacrifices that our Veterans have made and continue to carry the torch of remembrance."
Costas Menegakis, Member of Parliament for Richmond Hill
SOURCE: Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Barbara Mottram, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649; Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468