Four-year deal with 7.5% increase
New maximum salary of $115,094 for college professors
TORONTO, Aug. 8, 2017 /CNW/ - Ontario colleges made a comprehensive offer of settlement to extend the existing collective agreement for its academic employees. This offer is time limited based on the parties reaching an early settlement. The offer remains open while the OPSEU team deliberates and hears from its members.
"The offer is in line with recent public sector extension settlements for college support staff employees, the Ontario Public Service, teachers, and education workers," said Sonia Del Missier, Chair of the Colleges' Bargaining Team. "The colleges considered it only fair to provide the same opportunity to its faculty as other public sector unions have received."
The four-year extension (October 1, 2017 – September 30, 2021) to the contract provides:
- a 7.5% salary increase (1.5%, 2.0%, 2.0%, 2.0%)
- new maximum salary of $115,094 will be in place by October 1, 2020.
- the 1.5% retroactive increase on April 1, 2017 is six months prior to the expiry of the current agreement resulting in a retroactive payment of up to $800
- a further lump sum payment of $500 for full-time faculty and $250 for partial load paid on October 1, 2017
- expanded catastrophic drug coverage
- positive changes to pregnancy and parental leave
Investing in Faculty
The colleges' offer is an investment so that we can continue to attract and retain the best faculty, while balancing the budgetary requirements of publicly funded colleges. The four-year extension will also provide continued stability to college faculty, students and employees.
Colleges Urge OPSEU to Hold Vote on Offer
The Colleges' Bargaining Team urged OPSEU to allow its members to vote on the offer of settlement rather than hold a strike vote – OPSEU refused. OPSEU advised it intended to hold a strike vote on September 14, 2017. The union has not responded to the offer of settlement on the table. The Colleges' Bargaining Team awaits the Union's response to the offer.
The colleges' offer of settlement has been posted at www.thecouncil.on.ca
SOURCE College Employer Council
For further information: David Scott, 416-786-1641, [email protected]