TORONTO, Oct. 15, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Farmers are being invited to bring in unwanted agricultural pesticides and farm animal medications for safe disposal at participating ag retail locations.
CleanFARMS, a national, industry-led agricultural waste stewardship organization, has partnered with the Canadian Animal Health Institute (CAHI) and the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food to deliver this program to Ontario farmers. Similar programs combining both types of waste have successfully run in Manitoba and in Ontario.
"CleanFARMS is pleased to bring this program back to Ontario for the second time," says Barry Friesen, general manager of CleanFARMS. "By partnering with the Canadian Animal Health Institute, and with support from Ontario's agricultural groups, we are able to bring comprehensive and efficient programs to Ontario farmers."
CleanFARMS delivers several well-established programs, including the empty pesticide and fertilizer container recycling program and national obsolete pesticide collections, and has recently started working with groups like CAHI to offer collection options for additional agricultural waste.
"The Canadian Animal Health Institute's participation in this program is just one part of our industry's commitment to safely managing our products throughout their lifecycle," said Jean Szkotnicki, president of CAHI. "Our members are pleased to be a part of this program once again."
Farmers will be able to bring their obsolete pesticides and farm animal medications to one of 31 collection sites across the province for safe and environmentally responsible disposal. This program is strictly for agricultural pesticides and farm animal medications. Other waste will not be accepted.
The program comes at no cost to farmers. Collections will take place on the dates and at the locations specified below from 9 am until 4 pm.
- Guelph, Woodrill Farms Ltd.
- Hickson, Oxford Agropro Ltd.
- Dunnville, Hessels Farm Supply Ltd.
- Stayner, Holmes Agro Ltd.
- Brussels, Brussels Agromart Ltd.
- Greenway, Hensall District Co-operative
- Scotland, Scotland Agromart Ltd.
- Glencoe, Parrish & Heimbecker
- Brodhagen, Hoegy's Farm Supply Ltd.
- New Hamburg, Good Crop Services Ltd.
- Oakwood, Oakwood Ag Centre
- Beamsville, N.M. Bartlett Inc.
- Lucknow, Lucknow District Co-operative Inc.
- Leamington, Agris Co-operative Ltd.
October 22 - 24
- Gore Bay, Northland Agromart Ltd.
- Verner, Verner Ag Centre
- Thornloe, Temiskaming Ag Centre
- Arnprior, M & R Feeds and Farm Supply Ltd.
- Micksburg, M & R Feeds and Farm Supply Ltd.
- Oxford Station, Harvex Agromart
- Courtland, Cargill Inc.
- Harriston, North Wellington Co-op
- Walkerton, Huron Bay Co-op
- Tupperville, Agris Co-op
- Cobourg, Northumberland Grain Inc.
- Tara, Sprucedale Agromart Ltd.
- Bradford, Bradford Co-op
- Talbotville, Sylvite Agri-Services Ltd.
- Picton, Country Farm Centre
- Orangeville, Holmes Agro Ltd.
- Kitchener, GROWMARK Inc.
Farmers who wish to turn in obsolete pesticides or farm animal medications are asked to pre-register. This can be done online at www.cleanfarms.ca or by calling 1-877-622-4460.
The program is co-funded by CleanFARMS, CAHI and Ontario's Ministry of Agriculture and Food. It is also supported by the Ontario Agri Business Association, the Ontario Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association and Farm & Food Care Ontario.
SOURCE: CleanFARMS Inc.
For further information: