Speed gives Canadian businesses an edge, and having data close helps
TORONTO, June 19, 2012 /CNW/ - Cogeco Data Services is opening its new state-of-the-art data centre in the heart of Toronto's business district. This new centre will serve local customers as well as organizations requiring easy access and low latency connections to Canada's largest business and financial institutions.
The new data centre incorporates the most sophisticated technological, environmental and operational developments into a facility that is literally metres away from many of Canada's most important institutions.
"The trend has been to move data centres outside the downtown core because real estate is at a premium in major economic hubs like Toronto," said Tony Ciciretto, President of Cogeco Data Services. "But Canada's largest business district has unique needs including access to unparalleled speed and the ability to access facilities quickly for maintenance activities or in the event of an emergency. Even brief delays for a financial or business transaction can mean the difference of millions of dollars and that means that customers of our downtown facility will have a distinct advantage in meeting and exceeding the extreme latency and proximity requirements of the business sector."
Cogeco Data has built its business on the strength of its wholly owned, all optical network, its sophisticated data centres, private cloud services and the suite of managed IT and professional services it offers its clients.
The features of the Cogeco Data facility provide customers with improved efficiencies, reliability, security and management of their IT environments:
- Significant power capacity to support the most demanding IT infrastructure requirements
- Two onsite uninterruptible power supply (UPS) systems to protect against power interference and power fluctuations, and two, innovative emergency generators to safeguard against power interruptions
- Advanced overhead and close-coupled cooling systems that efficiently meet the demands of today's high density equipment
- 100% uptime backed by industry leading Service Level Agreements and 24/7/365 onsite monitoring of all environmental, operational and security systems
- Advanced, multi-level security system including biometric access controls and advanced video surveillance monitoring
- Very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus (VESDA), eco-friendly gas and pre-action dry pipe suppression systems
- Access and direct private connections to Cogeco Data Services' advanced all optical, wholly-owned network with connections up to 10 Gbps and beyond
- Access to Cogeco Data Services' high availability internet core network
- Secure, managed meet-me-room with multiple physically diverse entrance points, providing a carrier agnostic environment
Disaster recovery and redundancy are also integral to the success of Canada's leading businesses. The new downtown facility will complement Cogeco Data's existing facilities in Toronto west and its soon to be constructed facility in Barrie - enhanced with remote backup, business continuity and disaster recovery services. Organizations often require both local and remote facilities depending on their business goals and regulatory parameters. The investment was made because of the growing demand for Cogeco Data's dedicated high speed low latency network, managed IT and professional services, as more organizations move from on-site environments to cloud computing and hybrid service models.
"Most Canadians felt proud when they learned that our economy had weathered the global economic crisis better than most other countries," said Mr. Ciciretto. "With this new data centre in the heart Canada's biggest business and financial district, we're helping Canadian organizations cement their status among the world's best, most reliable, and nimble institutions."
Cogeco Data Services
With its suite of Business Communication Solutions (Data Centre hosting, Managed IT, Professional Services, Voice and Connectivity), Cogeco Data Services supplies its customers with the fast, reliable and secure ability to access, manage, move and store large amounts of data worldwide. The Company's wholly-owned, all optical, redundant network and secure, 'always on', tier 3 quality data centres provide some of Canada's largest companies and public sector organizations with near limitless bandwidth and secure facilities for hosting and storing mission critical data.
For more information about Cogeco Data Services, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cogeco Cable Inc., visit cogecodata.com.
Video with caption: "Cogeco Data Services Brings New Data Centre to the Heart of Toronto's Business District". Video available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/cgi-bin/playback.cgi?file=20120619_C2151_VIDEO_EN_15265.mp4&posterurl=http://photos.newswire.ca/images/20120619_C2151_PHOTO_EN_15265.jpg&clientName=Cogeco%20Data%20Services&caption=Cogeco%20Data%20Services%20Brings%20New%20Data%20Centre%20to%20the%20Heart%20of%20Toronto%27s%20Business%20District&title=COGECO%20DATA%20SERVICES%20%2D%20Cogeco%20Data%20Services%20Brings%20New%20Data%20Centre%20to%20the%20Heart%20of%20Toronto%27s%20Business%20District&headline=Cogeco%20Data%20Services%20Brings%20New%20Data%20Centre%20to%20the%20Heart%20of%20Toronto%27s%20Business%20District
For further information: