MONTREAL, Oct. 26, 2017 /CNW/ - CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) today issued its sixth sustainability report, Delivering Responsibly, outlining the company's programs and achievements in safety, corporate governance, community involvement, human resources and environmental sustainability.
"At CN, running a safe and sustainable railroad is at the core of our business culture," said Luc Jobin, CN president and chief executive officer. "It touches every aspect of what we do enabling us to help build a strong future for our customers, employees and the communities in which we operate."
Key accomplishments outlined in the report include:
- Over the past 20 years, CN has reduced its locomotive emission intensity by 39 per cent while achieving record growth in the volume of freight it moves.
- CN continues to lead the North American rail industry in fuel efficiency, consuming 15 per cent less fuel per gross ton mile compared to the industry average.
- Continuing to reinforce safety as a core value, in 2016 CN continued its roll out of Looking Out for Each Other, a peer-to-peer program promoting a safety mindset that focuses on reinforcing safe behaviours and strengthening safety culture.
- In 2016, CN continued to work closely with emergency responders and participated in more than 400 TRANSCAER® events, bringing critical training to over 8,400 participants.
- Since 2012, through the company's EcoConnexions programs, more than 1.6 million trees have been planted, making CN the leading private non-forestry company tree planter in Canada.
- In 2017, CN became a member of the Canadian Chapter of the 30% Club reflecting the Board of Directors commitment to diversity.
- Over the past year, CN implemented innovative diversity initiatives, including partnering with Unifor and the Government of Canada to establish a bursary program for Indigenous post-secondary students across Canada.
CN follows global best practices in disclosure and the new report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards. Environmental data related to 2015-2016 greenhouse gas emissions were independently verified. CN has also aligned its five sustainability pillars with the United Nations' Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs).
CN's sustainability report can be accessed at www.cn.ca/delivering-responsibly.
CN is a true backbone of the economy whose team of approximately 23,000 railroaders transports more than C$250 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors, ranging from resource products to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a rail network of approximately 20,000 route-miles spanning Canada and mid-America. CN – Canadian National Railway Company, along with its operating railway subsidiaries – serves the cities and ports of Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal, Halifax, New Orleans, and Mobile, Ala., and the metropolitan areas of Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Chicago, Memphis, Detroit, Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis., and Jackson, Miss., with connections to all points in North America. For more information about CN, visit the company's website at www.cn.ca.
CN's Sustainability Commitment
Delivering Responsibly is one of the pillars of What CN Stands For. It determines how we conduct our business every day and defines our contribution to building a more sustainable future. A member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, CN's sustainability commitment is anchored in environment, safety, people, community and governance. CN trains are four times more fuel efficient than trucks, reduce highway congestion, lower greenhouse gas emissions, and reduce air pollution.
For further information: Contacts: Media: Patrick Waldron, Senior Manager, Media Relations, (514) 399-8803; Investment Community: Paul Butcher, Vice-President, Investor Relations, (514) 399-0052