- Collection events in 20 southern Alberta locations begin October 22
- Events help keep these materials out of the environment
TORONTO, Oct. 13, 2018 /CNW/ -Sometimes the business of farming results in leftover, unwanted agricultural pesticides or outdated livestock medications. And sometimes disposing of these materials safely is difficult. But for farmers living in or near many southern Alberta communities, they can take them to special collection events that Cleanfarms is holding at designated locations beginning Monday, October 22.
Cleanfarms is a Canadian non-profit organization that delivers recycling and disposal solutions that help farmers and their communities safely manage farm waste. Cleanfarms runs the unwanted and old pesticides and livestock medications collection program in each province or region of the country every three years at no cost to farmers.
Southern Alberta collection events are scheduled at the following locations:
October 22 –
- Vauxhall – South Country Co-op, 205 1st Ave., North
- Hanna – Fox Lake Agro Services, 305 South Municipal Road
- Olds – Richardson Pioneer, 1.5 km North of Olds, Hwy 2A
- Claresholm – South Country Co-op, 4123 3rd Street, East
October 23 –
- Cardston – Cardston County Admin. Bldg., 1080 Main Street
- Oyen – Richardson Pioneer, Township Road 280
- Foremost – W. Buis Holdings Ltd., 199 1st Ave., West
- Crossfield – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 21185 Hwy. 574
October 24 –
- Stirling – Richardson Pioneer, Hwy 61, 1 mile east of Hwy 4
- Bow Island – Parrish and Heimbecker, Hwy. 3, 1 mile west of Bow Island
- Strathmore – UFA Strathmore, 58 Slater Road
- Coronation – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 36130 Range Road
October 25 –
- Three Hills – Kneehill Soil Services Ltd., 204 1st Ave., W
- Vulcan – Richardson Pioneer, ¼ mile west of junction Hwy. 23 & Hwy. 534
- Medicine Hat – UFA Medicine Hat, 1467 30th Street, SW
- Taber – UFA Taber, 5813 60 Ave.
October 26 –
- Innisfail – Central Alberta Co-op, 35435 Range Road 282
- Brooks – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 145074 Joanne Trucking Road
- High River – UFA High River, 2006 10th Ave., SE
- Iron Springs – Nutrien Ag Solutions, 100 Railway Ave.
Cleanfarms will accept materials at the events at no charge and will dispose of the materials collected safely and responsibly. Each collection event runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Materials accepted in the Cleanfarms program include:
- old or unwanted agricultural pesticides (identified with a Pest Control Product number on the label), and
- livestock medications that are used in the rearing of animals in an agricultural context (identified with a DIN number, serial number or Pest Control Product number on the label.
The program will not accept:
- fertilizer, diluted solution, large quantities of unopened product, and treated seed
- needles/sharps, medicated feed, aerosol containers, premises disinfectants/sanitizers, veterinary clinic waste and medications, ear tags, and aerosols
- any other household hazardous waste.
The program is funded by the crop protection industry and the Canadian Animal Health Institute and operated by Cleanfarms. An environmental stewardship organization, Cleanfarms works collaboratively with industry members, agricultural organizations and associations, and the government to ensure that Canadian farmers have opportunities to manage agricultural waste responsibly. In 2016, Cleanfarms collected 79,400 kg of unwanted pesticides and 5,335 kg of livestock and equine medications from farmers in Alberta.
Questions about whether a product fits the scope of acceptable materials in this collection can be directed to 877-622-4460 or email Cleanfarms at email@example.com.
SOURCE Cleanfarms Inc.
For further information: Barbara McConnell, firstname.lastname@example.org, P. 613-471-1816, M. 416-452-2373; Cleanfarms Inc., 400-10 Four Seasons Place, Etobicoke, ON Canada M9B 6H7, 1 877 622 4460, email@example.com
CleanFARMS Inc. is a not-for-profit industry stewardship organization led by the plant science industry that is committed to environmental responsibility through the proper management of agricultural waste. CleanFARMS Inc. is best known for its empty pesticide and fertilizer container recycling program and obsolete pesticide collection campaign. Its programs manage agricultural plastic and other...