OTTAWA, Jan. 8, 2018 /CNW/ - As part of its ongoing mission to build a better online Canada, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) today announced that it is the first Canadian public sector incubator to take advantage of the broad programs available from Amazon Web Services (AWS) for Canadian public sector startups.
Projects from CIRA's Community Investment Program will now have access to a variety of AWS programs to help scale up online activities and accelerate the delivery of new products and services.
The Community Investment Program gives back by funding innovative community projects to build a stronger, safer and more accessible internet for all Canadians. The program has built new infrastructure, helped grow Canada's capacity in digital literacy, enabled non-profits to deliver online services, and better equipped academic researchers to address emerging digital issues.
- Since launching in 2014, the Community Investment Program has distributed $4.2M in funding to more than 100 projects.
- The Community Investment Program is entering its fifth year and will be accepting new project applications on January 15.
- With the AWS Canada Region in December 2016, AWS can host Canadian data in Canada which is essential for many public sector applications.
- This relationship bolsters the existing $1 million in annual Community Investment Program funding provided by CIRA with in-kind technology and support services that can add up to five per cent to the value of the program.
"We are thrilled that Amazon Web Services is supporting our vision to build a better online Canada. Our Community Investment Program is at the heart of our mandate, and the AWS programs will allow our partners to continue to bring forward innovative projects that improve access, security, and quality of the internet in Canada."
– Byron Holland, president & CEO, CIRA
"We are passionate about supporting the Canadian startup community, and are proud to help the Community Investment Program by offering the right tools for the right jobs that allow public sector startups to scale and invent."
– Jeffrey Kratz, General Manager, Latin America, Canada & Caribbean Regions, Amazon Web Services
For more information on the Community Investment Program visit: https://cira.ca/community-investment-program
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. A Member-based organization, CIRA also develops and implements policies that support Canada's internet community, and represents the .CA registry internationally.
SOURCE Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
For further information: Media contact: Spencer Callaghan, Communications Manager, CIRA, [email protected], (613) 237-5335 ext. 276