OTTAWA, March 22, 2018 /CNW/ - The Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) today announced that it has signed on to the Declaration of Global Plastics Associations for Solutions on Marine Litter. The Declaration is a public commitment by over 70 organizations to work with partners to tackle the global problem of plastics in the marine environment.
"More than 95% of all manufactured products rely on chemistry and a significant portion of these include plastic resins," said Bob Masterson, President and CEO of CIAC. "From improved building insulation and lighter plastics for automobiles, to the production of solar panels and wind turbines, and advanced packaging to preserve food, these products and processes are essential in helping society meet its needs while moving to a low-carbon economy."
"These products, however, do not belong in the world's waterways which is why we are proud to be part of efforts like these that are focused on science-based approaches to easing the burden on our environment."
As part of its commitment, CIAC will work with governments, NGOs, researchers, and other stakeholders to implement projects that meet the elements of the Declaration, which include:
- Contributing to solutions by working in public-private partnerships aimed at preventing marine litter;
- Working with the scientific community and researchers to better understand and evaluate the scope, origins and impact of and solutions to marine litter;
- Promoting comprehensive science-based policies and enforcement of existing laws to prevent marine litter;
- Helping spread knowledge regarding eco-efficient waste management systems and practices, particularly in communities and countries that border our oceans and watersheds; and
- Enhancing opportunities to recover plastic products for recycling and energy recovery.
Through Responsible Care®, the chemistry industry's globally recognized commitment to sustainability, CIAC's plastic resin producers are obligated to ensure sound stewardship of resin pellets during manufacture, transport and distribution. They also work with their suppliers and customers to prevent product loss while also working to innovate for new products and processes which add value to society while reducing risks to human health and the environment.
For more information on the Declaration of Global Plastics Associations for Solutions on Marine Litter visit: www.marinelittersolutions.com.
The Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) is the Association for leaders in the chemistry sector in Canada; a $53 billion industry. The Association represents more than 50 members and partners across the country. Members of CIAC are signatories to Responsible Care® – the Association's UN-recognized sustainability initiative.
SOURCE Chemistry Industry Association of Canada
For further information: Julie Fortier, Manager, Communications, Chemistry Industry Association of Canada, email@example.com, 613-237-6215 ext. 252