20th edition of the Conference of Montreal – The Foundation for the Next Era of Growth
MONTREAL, June 3, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - Organized by the International Economic Forum of the Americas, the 20th edition of the Conference of Montreal will begin on June 9, 2014, under the theme of "Economy, Governance and Pension". During this first day, invited speakers and panellists, influential decision makers from the economic and political spheres, will discuss the foundations for a sustainable economic recovery, the role of long-term investors, inclusive growth, international mobility, and the links between the global economy and geopolitical conflicts. An entire panel will also be dedicated to the issues and solutions related to pension systems around the world.
Mr. Denis Coderre, Mayor of the City of Montreal, and the Honourable Joe Oliver, Minister of Finance of Canada, will present the opening address alongside Gil Rémillard, Founding President of the International Economic Forum of the Americas.
Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of International Monetary Fund (IMF), is the star guest of the day and keynote speaker at the opening luncheon; she will also be interviewed by John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief, The Economist.
20 years after its inception, the Conference of Montreal is now positioned among the most important international economic forums. Several initiatives are being launched this year to mark the 20th anniversary, including the appointment of two honorary co-chairs Angel Gurría, Secretary General of the OECD and Gérard Mestrallet, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of GDF SUEZ. The 2014 edition also includes a special concert performed by the OSM in the presence of Madame Christine Lagarde, featuring the Grand Orgue Pierre-Béique and Kent Nagano, as well as a book publication celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Conference entitled Global Economy: The Foundation for the Next Era of Growth. This book is co-written by the prestigious decision makers Angel Gurrìa, Paul Desmarais Jr., Abraham Reichental, Donald Kaberuka, Christian Noyer, Christoph Frei and many others.
Keynote speakers for the day include:
- Shaukat Aziz, Former Prime Minister of Pakistan (2004-2007), and Former Executive Vice President, Citibank;
- Elizabeth Corley, Chief Executive Officer, Allianz Global Investors;
- Paul Desmarais, Jr., Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer, Power Corporation of Canada;
- Angel Gurrìa, Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and Co-Chair, 20th edition of the Conference of Montreal;
- Lawrence Summers, Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government; U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, 1999-2001;
- Glenn Hutchins, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Silver Lake Partners;
- Maurice Lévy, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Publicis Groupe;
- John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief, The Economist;
- Tiémoko Meyliet Koné, Governor, Central Bank of West African States;
- Christian Noyer, Governor, Bank of France, and Chairman, Bank for International Settlements (BIS);
- The Honorable Joe Oliver, Minister of Finance, Canada;
- Michel Sabia, President and Chief Executive Officer, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec;
- Jean-Claude Trichet, Former President, European Central Bank, and Chairman, Group of Thirty.
The program of the 2014 Conference of Montreal is regularly updated and is available at: http://forum-americas.org/montreal
Conference of Montreal Partners
The Conference of Montreal thanks its partners: Power Corporation of Canada, the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Dentons, the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF), RBC Capital Markets, Finance Montréal, Hydro-Québec, Investissement Québec, Sanofi, TransCanada, the International Organisation of La Francophonie, Export Development Canada (EDC), GDF SUEZ, QG100, RioTinto Alcan, Total, Ville de Montréal, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), BNP Paribas (Canada), Cogeco, McKinsey & Company, the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Cisco, Garda World, Imperial, Desjardins, McGill University, SNC Lavalin, Government of Ontario, the École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS), Ernst & Young, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, Centre d'études et de recherches internationales (CÉRIUM), the Université de Montréal, Aecon, Montréal International, HEC Montréal, Air France, Oxygène, Concordia University, General Electric, Génome Québec, Québec Employers Council, Tourisme Montréal, the Desautels Faculty of Management, National Écocrédit, La Coop fédérée, VIA Rail, Government of Canada, le gouvernement du Québec, La Presse, Worth, Forces, The Globe & Mail, RDI, CNW Telbec, Cohn & Wolfe, World Energy Council, and the OECD.
About the International Economic Forum of the Americas and Conference of Montreal
For the last 20 years, the Conference of Montreal has been committed to heightening knowledge and awareness of the major issues concerning economic globalization, with a particular emphasis on the relations between the Americas and other continents. The Conference also strives to foster exchanges of information, to promote free discussion and facilitate meetings to develop international trade, inviting political, economic, trade union and cultural leaders to speak out on the great issues of our time.
For more information and for accreditation of national and international journalists and media professionals, or to arrange an interview with one of the speakers listed above, please contact Sophie Roy at: 1 844-778-7296 or [email protected]
Please note that some speakers are available for interviews.
SOURCE: Conference of Montreal
For further information: Sophie Roy, Media Relations, 514 845-7025, [email protected]