Award includes $75,000 in grants to child- or youth-serving agencies
TORONTO, Jan. 17, 2018 /CNW/ - Children's Aid Foundation of Canada is pleased to announce the new Stand Up for Kids National Award to recognize extraordinary people who have made an indelible mark by improving the lives of children and youth living in Canada's child welfare system.
Presented to individuals whose efforts and dedication have made a positive difference in the lives of abused, abandoned and neglected children and youth, the award recipient and five short-list nominees will be able to direct $75,000 in grants from Children's Aid Foundation of Canada to child- and youth-serving organizations that enable initiatives that advance the lives of vulnerable kids.
"Children's Aid Foundation of Canada created this distinct national award to recognize people who have made an extraordinary impact on the child welfare landscape," says Valerie McMurtry, President and CEO, Children's Aid Foundation of Canada. "By spotlighting their outstanding contributions, we hope Canadians will be inspired to take action to support our most vulnerable children."
Nominations can be submitted at www.cafdn.org/standupforkids and close March 27, 2018. The national award winner will be announced at the Stand Up for Kids Awards Night in Toronto in September 2018.
Children's Aid Foundation of Canada is delighted to announce the inaugural Stand Up for Kids National Award Committee, a group of leaders recognized for their passion and dedication to making a difference in the lives of kids in the child welfare system and who will select the 2018 award recipient:
- Chair Donald Guloien, past President and CEO of Manulife and former Children's Aid Foundation of Canada board member and long-time volunteer;
- Lynn Belzberg, social worker and Children's Aid Foundation of Canada Board Member;
- Dylan Cohen, Youth Organizer, BC Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition;
- Phillip Crawley, Publisher and CEO of The Globe and Mail;
- Dr. Barbara Fallon, Factor-Inwentash Chair in Child Welfare at the University of Toronto;
- Margot Franssen, O.C., Co-Chair of The Canadian Centre to End Human Trafficking;
- Brian Gluckstein, Principal, Gluckstein Design and Children's Aid Foundation of Canada Board Member;
- Former Governor General of Canada, the Right Honourable David Johnston, C.C.;
- The Honourable Peter MacKay, P.C., Q.C., ; Chair, Boost Child and Youth Advocacy Centre;
- Susan McIsaac, past President and CEO of United Way Toronto;
- David Rivard, CEO of Children's Aid Society of Toronto
The Stand Up for Kids National Award recipient will direct $50,000 and the five short-list nominees will direct $5,000 each to a child welfare, child rights or child-or youth-serving agency in Canada.
Nomination criteria and award information can be found at www.cafdn.org/standupforkids
The Stand Up for Kids National Award is part of Children's Aid Foundation of Canada's Stand Up for Kids national campaign for child welfare, which is mobilizing Canadians who want to help change the future for Canada's most at-risk children and youth.
About Children's Aid Foundation of Canada
Children's Aid Foundation of Canada is the country's leading national charity dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth in the child welfare system. All children have the right to become healthy, contributing members of society. Our kids need your help to get there. They depend on us. We depend on you. Join us and help Canada's most vulnerable kids break the cycle and define a vision for themselves of a successful future. Learn more at cafdn.org.
SOURCE Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada
For further information: Lisa Lipkin, Lisa Lipkin Communications, [email protected]; 416-988-4189