(TSX-V | OYL)
TORONTO, July 30, 2014 /CNW/ - CGX Energy Inc. (TSX-V - OYL) announced today the release of its unaudited consolidated financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2014, together with its Management Discussion and Analysis. These documents will be posted on the Company's website at www.cgxenergy.com and SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
Second Quarter 2014 Overview and Highlights
- Financial Results - The Company recorded net loss of $1,527,658 or $0.02 a share for the three month period ended June 30, 2014, compared with $8,548,852 or $0.13 a share for the same period in 2013.
- Definitive Rig Agreement - In June 2014, the Company entered into a definitive rig agreement with Japan Drilling Co., Ltd. for the provision of rig services. Under the terms of the agreement, the Company has procured the use of the jack-up drilling rig known as the "HAKURYU-12" rig. In an effort to reduce drilling costs, the Company has simultaneously entered into a rig sharing agreement with Teikoku Oil (Suriname) Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of INPEX CORPORATION ("INPEX"). The Company plans to utilize this rig for the drilling of its commitment well under the Company's Corentyne petroleum prospecting licence ("PPL") in 2015.
- Corentyne Block Update - In June, 2014, the Company received a five month extension to its spud date deadline at the Corentyne PPL. The Government of Guyana granted approval of an extension on the spud date on the first commitment well from May 31, 2015 to October 31, 2015. The extension was required to ensure that the HAKURYU-12 rig will have sufficient time to arrive in Guyana prior to the commencement of the weather window.
- Successful Injunction against Repsol - In December 2013, the Company commenced arbitration proceedings against Repsol Exploracion, S.A. ("Repsol") in connection with the expiry of the PPL covering the Georgetown Block. The Company is of the view that the terms of the joint operating agreement governing the Georgetown Block were still in effect when Repsol allowed the Georgetown PPL to expire and sought out a new PPL covering virtually identical acreage offshore in Guyana, which is now known as the Kanuku PPL. Furthermore, Repsol was aware of CGX's continued interest in the Georgetown PPL and had an obligation to seek renewal of the Georgetown PPL alongside CGX. In January 2014, CGX obtained an injunction order from the Commercial Court of Guyana restraining Repsol from proceeding with the 30% farm-out of the Kanuku PPL to RWE Dea AG or any other parties pending the hearing and determination of the arbitration proceedings commenced by CGX against Repsol. As of the date hereof, the injunction is still in place.
- Strategic Partners and New Initiatives - With the assistance of Vector Seismic Data Processing Inc., the Company has completed the reprocessing of the seismic data relating to the Corentyne PPL and merged the existing seismic surveys. The Company completed the re-interpreting of the seismic data to delineate a new prospect on the Corentyne PPL with the assistance of Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. ("Pacific Rubiales") and its technical staff. CGX continues its initiatives to secure a Joint Venture Partner for its Corentyne PPL. In the short term, the Company will likely require additional financing and seek to widen its shareholder base, but still with a view to negotiating farm-out transactions as the primary way to enhance shareholder value.
- Cost Cutting Initiatives: General and administration costs decreased by $1,648,024 to $362,839 in the three month period ended June 30, 2014 from $2,010,863 for the same period in 2013. The Company continues to reduce general and administrative costs leading up to the drilling of the next exploration well at the Corentyne PPL.
About CGX Energy
CGX Energy is a Canadian-based oil and gas exploration company focused on the exploration of oil in the Guyana-Suriname Basin.
NEITHER THE TSX VENTURE EXCHANGE NOR ITS REGULATION SERVICES PROVIDER (AS THAT TERM IS DEFINED IN THE POLICIES OF THE TSX VENTURE EXCHANGE) ACCEPTS RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ADEQUACY OR ACCURACY OF THIS RELEASE.
This press release contains forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are frequently characterized by words such as "plan", "expect", "project", "intend", "believe", anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "would", "potential", "proposed" and other similar words, or statements that certain events or conditions "may" or "will" occur in the future. These forward-looking statements are based on certain key expectations and assumptions made by CGX. CGX believes the expectations and assumptions on which it develops forward-looking statements are reasonable; however, undue reliance should not be placed on forward-looking statements as there can be no assurance they will prove to be correct. Since forward-looking statements address future events and conditions, by their very nature they involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results could differ materially from those currently anticipated due to a number of factors and risks. In addition, other risks that may affect the forward-looking statements in this press release are outlined further in the Company's Annual Information Form dated June 10, 2013 filed on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are made as of the date hereof and CGX undertakes no obligation to update publicly or revise any forward-looking statements or information, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless so required by applicable securities laws.
SOURCE: CGX Energy Inc.
For further information:
Michael Galego, General Counsel and Secretary at (416) 843-3858 or [email protected]