TORONTO, May 30, 2013 /CNW/ - Over the past two years, Certified General Accountants of Ontario (CGA Ontario) has committed more than four million dollars in support of academic excellence and advancement of the accounting profession, further enabling post-secondary institutions to do more.
As a professional association, CGA Ontario recognizes its responsibility to the development of knowledge within the profession and the development of the next generation of professional accountants. Whether supporting students or investing in research, the Association embraces opportunities to build unique relationships that address the individual needs of its post-secondary partners.
"With more than 22,000 certified general accountants and 9,000 students in the CGA program of professional studies in Ontario, we can make a contribution and a difference; the public good depends on academic excellence and the development of tomorrow's best and the brightest," said Doug Brooks, FCGA, CEO, CGA Ontario.
CGA Ontario's donation of two million dollars to York University's Schulich School of Business resulted in the creation of the CGA Ontario Chair in International Entrepreneurship. The Association works collaboratively with the university to drive a deeper understanding of entrepreneurialism and global competitiveness for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), an important sector in Ontario's business community.
"Investments in academia are essential to building student resources, technology, infrastructure, and research centres, to advance the accounting profession, to lay the foundation for future breakthroughs, to facilitate game-changing ideas," said Doug Brooks, FCGA, CEO, CGA Ontario.
Post-secondary institutions across Ontario have recognized the Association for its investment and partnership; recently Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa presented CGA Ontario with the 2013 Telfer Donor of the Year Award acknowledging the Association's contributions.
- Maria Ferraro, CGA - CGA Ontario Professor of Accounting, Lecturer, DAN Program in Management and Organizational Studies Western University
- Partha Mohanram, CGA - CGA Ontario Professor of Financial Accounting, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Moren Lévesque - CGA Ontario Chair in International Entrepreneurship, Professor of Operations Management and Information Systems Schulich School of Business, York University
- Samir Trabelsi, CGA - Coordinator, CGA Research Excellence Fund, Associate Professor of Accounting Goodman School of Business, Brock University
- CGA Ontario invests in the success of Seneca's Accounting and Financial Services students
- CGA Ontario contributes $285,000 to Goodman School of Business at Brock University supporting accounting excellence
- CGA Ontario donates $370,000 to the Telfer School of Management supporting students, teachers, research and a new professorship in accounting
- CGA Ontario donates more than $400,000 to Western University
- Benefits of CGA Ontario's $300,000 funding to Ted Rogers School of Management
- CGA Ontario announces $2 million donation to help students and professionals do more
- 53 post-secondary schools, 25 universities and 28 colleges, employ CGAs
- 400 CGAs work in post-secondary institutions; of that:
- 128 CGAs work as instructors and professors
- 277 CGAs work in post-secondary school administrative positions
About CGA Ontario - CGA Ontario is a self-governing body that grants the exclusive rights to the CGA designation, and controls the professional standards, conduct and discipline of its members and students in the province of Ontario. Certified general accountants (CGAs) are committed to meeting the needs of businesses and organizations with strategic insight, leadership and demonstrated abilities. In Ontario, there are more than 22,000 CGAs and 9,000 students working toward their designation.
Image with caption: "Statements Magazine addresses academic excellence - CGA Ontario has committed more than four million dollars in support of academic excellence and advancement of the accounting profession, further enabling post-secondary institutions to do more. (CNW Group/Certified General Accountants of Ontario)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130530_C3545_PHOTO_EN_27295.jpg
Image with caption: "Statements Magazine addresses academic excellence profiling thought leaders and 400 certified general accountants within post-secondary institutions; whether supporting students or investing in research, CGA Ontario embraces opportunities to build unique relationships that address the individual needs of its post-secondary partners. (CNW Group/Certified General Accountants of Ontario)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130530_C3545_PHOTO_EN_27296.jpg
SOURCE: Certified General Accountants of Ontario
For further information:
Amy Mulhern, Manager, Public Relations, CGA Ontario
Telephone: 416-544-4781 / Mobile: 416-606-5860 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org