L'ÎLE-DES-SŒURS, QC, Oct. 6, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - The Greater Montréal Real Estate Board (GMREB) has just released its most recent residential real estate market statistics for the Montréal Census Metropolitan Area (CMA), based on the real estate brokers' Centris® provincial database. In total, 2,665 residential sales were concluded in September 2015, a 5 per cent increase compared to September 2014. This was the seventh consecutive monthly increase in sales and the most active month of September in four years. Click here to watch the September 2015 statistics video.
For more information, please visit www.homepriceindex.ca.
Sales by geographic area
- For a second consecutive month, the area of Laval stood out, posting a 10 per cent jump in sales compared to September of last year.
- The Island of Montréal also registered a significant increase in sales, at 8 per cent.
- The increases were more moderate on the South Shore (+3 per cent), on the North Shore (+1 per cent) and in Vaudreuil-Soulanges (+1 per cent).
Statistics by property category
- For a second consecutive month, all property categories contributed to the increase in sales.
- Sales of plexes (2 to 5 dwellings) climbed by 23 per cent in the Montréal CMA, after posting a 20 per cent increase in the month of August.
- Single-family home sales rose by 4 per cent compared to September of 2014, while condominium sales increased by 1 per cent.
- For the Montréal CMA as a whole, the median price of condominiums ($248,000) grew by 6 per cent compared to September 2014. The Island of Montréal and the South Shore both registered an increase of 8 per cent.
- The median price of single-family homes rose by 3 per cent across the Montréal CMA to reach $292,500. The Island of Montréal stood out with a 9 per cent increase.
- Plexes sold at a median price of $420,000 in September 2015, a 2 per cent decrease compared to the same period last year.
"The momentum on the Island of Montréal continued into September," said Sylvain Girard, Vice-President of the GMREB Board of Directors. "Sales have increased every month since February so that cumulatively for the year, the number of transactions is up by 9 per cent compared to the same period last year. This is particularly due to the strength of single-family home sales which have increased by 17 per cent," he added. It should also be noted that all five main areas of the Montréal CMA have registered an increase in year-to-date sales.
Number of properties for sale
The upward trend that continued for five years in terms of the number of active listings finally ended in September 2015. In total, some 32,471 residential properties were for sale as at September 30, a number that is equivalent to that observed in September 2014.
About the Greater Montréal Real Estate Board
The Greater Montréal Real Estate Board is a non-profit organization with close to 9,300 members: real estate brokers. Its mission is to actively promote and protect its members' professional and business interests in order for them to successfully meet their business objectives.
Centris.ca is Québec's real estate industry website for consumers, grouping all properties for sale by a real estate broker under the same address. Centris®, a division of the Greater Montréal Real Estate Board, offers technology resources exclusively to Québec's 12 real estate boards and their 13,000 real estate brokers.
For September 2015 statistics charts, click here.
For year-to-date statistics charts, click here.
SOURCE Greater Montréal Real Estate Board
Image with caption: "Centris® Residential Sales Statistics September 2015 (CNW Group/Greater Montréal Real Estate Board)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151006_C7162_PHOTO_EN_514371.jpg
For further information: Manon Stébenne, Manager, Communications and Public Relations, Greater Montréal Real Estate Board, Tel.: 514-762-2440, ext. 157, [email protected]; Josée Labrie, Coordinator, Writing and Communications, Communications and Public Relations, Greater Montréal Real Estate Board, Tel.: 514-762-2440, ext. 222, [email protected]