OAKVILLE, ON, May 1, 2014 /CNW/ - Do you dig the Sugar Twist, fall faint at the sight of the Chocolate Sour Cream Glazed donut, or dream of eating chili and the bowl? After five weeks of introducing beloved menu items from decades past, Tim Hortons is now asking Canadians to decide which classic contender will make a comeback in restaurants later this year.
"With over 300,000 unique views on TimsBringItBack.ca and the thousands of comments we've seen through social media, we've been thrilled with our guests' engagement in which classic menu item will make a comeback in restaurant later this year," says Glenn Hollis, Vice President Marketing, Tim Hortons. "It speaks to the role Tim Hortons has played in the lives of Canadians over the past five decades. We look forward to creating new memories with our guests over the next 50 years to come."
Starting today, Canadians can vote to bring back the following menu items:
- The Eclair. Dipped in chocolate fondant, then sliced and filled with whipped topping, this tasty treat rose to popularity across Canada in the '60s, a time when granny glasses and bellbottoms reigned supreme.
- The Sugar Twist. Rolled out and double-twisted into shape, then rolled in sugar, this '70s delight had more funky flair than a sequined jumpsuit.
- The Pecan Butter Tart. Baked with a creamy, buttery filling and topped with crunchy pecans, this flaky pastry was gnarly, tubular and rad, just like the '80s.
- The Chocolate Sour Cream Glazed Donut. A ring of chocolate cake with tangy sour cream flavour, this classic was the reason those '90s boy bands performed choreographed love songs - while talking on their oversized cell phones.
- The Bread Bowl. When Canadians began surfing the 'net around Y2K, they enjoyed hearty chili with ground beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, plus more - and then they ate the freshly-baked sourdough bowl.
Canadians can vote daily for their top contender at TimsBringitBack.ca or on Tim Hortons Facebook page until Wednesday, May 14. The winning item will be announced the following day, on Thursday, May 15, and will make its comeback in-restaurant later this year.
To have your say in which decade will reign supreme, visit Tim Hortons' Facebook (www.Facebook.com/TimHortons), Twitter (@TimHortons and Instagram @TimHortons) and tag comments and photos with #TimsBringItBack.
Tim Hortons Inc. Overview
(TSX: THI) is one of the largest publicly-traded restaurant chains in North America based on market capitalization, and the largest in Canada. Operating in the quick service segment of the restaurant industry, Tim Hortons appeals to a broad range of consumer tastes, with a menu that includes premium coffee, hot and cold specialty drinks (including lattes, cappuccinos and espresso shots), specialty teas and fruit smoothies, fresh baked goods, grilled Panini and classic sandwiches, wraps, soups, prepared foods and other food products. As of December 29, 2013, Tim Hortons had 4,485 systemwide restaurants, including 3,588 in Canada, 859 in the United States and 38 in the Gulf Cooperation Council. More information about the Company is available at www.timhortons.com.
Image with caption: "Canadians to decide which Tim Hortons classic is due for a comeback. Will it be The Eclair ('60s), The Sugar Twist ('70s), The Pecan Butter Tart ('80s), The Chocolate Sour Cream Glazed Donut ('90s) or The Bread Bowl ('00s)? Visit TimsBringItBack.ca to cast your vote. (CNW Group/Tim Hortons)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140501_C6032_PHOTO_EN_39824.jpg
SOURCE: Tim Hortons
For further information:
For further information or to arrange an interview, please contact: