Over 110,000 car2go Calgary members now have access to new Mercedes-Benz CLAs and GLAs for more room to travel in style, safety, and comfort
CALGARY, Alberta, Aug. 1, 2017 /CNW/ -- car2go, the largest, fastest-growing one-way carsharing service in the world, announced that starting today its 110,000-plus Calgary members can start driving new all-wheel drive Mercedes-Benz CLA and GLA four-door five passenger vehicles.
"car2go is a member-focused company," said Jon Wycoco, General Manager for car2go Calgary. "Our Calgary members have shown us that having an option with room for more passengers is what they want—one that also performs well, no matter the season, and that's exactly what we are delivering today with the first of what will be hundreds of new 4-Matic All Wheel Drive Mercedes-Benz cars. We couldn't be more thrilled to offer these new Mercedes-Benz vehicles because they help further improve mobility in Calgary and elevate the car2go member experience."
The new vehicles deliver a smoother, faster and improved car2go experience, featuring the latest car2go technology via the carshare service's free car2go app. This new technology allows members to locate either a Mercedes-Benz or smart car2go and unlock it in a matter of seconds via their smartphone, just as if they had the keys in the palm of their hand. Members can also choose between Mercedes and smart models and see fuel levels all within the app.
car2go Mercedes-Benz vehicles will hit the road at 47 cents a minute while smart fortwo vehicles will be available to drive for 41 cents a minute.
Calgarians can travel in a Mercedes-Benz much more affordably than competing rideshare, taxi services
Calgary rideshare and taxi rates checked in late July show that riders save considerably with car2go. A 15 minute trip from downtown to the Chinook Centre with a car2go Mercedes-Benz is over $11 cheaper than the same trip with a rideshare service. A car2go trip also proves to be $10 less expensive than a taxi. Eleven trips tested in Calgary proved that travel via car2go Mercedes-Benz is less than half the price of a rideshare or taxi.
Meet the new car2gos: Mercedes-Benz CLAs, GLAs
car2go's 2018 Mercedes-Benz CLA is a fun and sexy 4-door coupe and car2go's 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLA is a sporty, 5-door small SUV with expanded cargo capacity. All 100-plus car2go Calgary CLAs and GLAs come equipped with Mercedes-Benz's award-winning 4MATIC all-wheel drive system for maximum traction in all types of poor and more difficult driving conditions, Adaptive Braking, Blind Spot Assist, a rearview camera, heated seats, and full smartphone integration. Mercedes-Benz car2gos come in three colors: Night Black, Cirrus White, and Polar Silver.
More information on new vehicle features are as follows:
- Rearview camera, providing drivers with a 180-degree view for added confidence when backing-up
- Blind Spot Assist, which warns drivers when another object or vehicle is in their blind spot
- Adaptive Braking, a radar-based technology that can autonomously brake at speeds of up to 105 km/h and alert drivers when approaching a vehicle ahead – including some stationary objects – at a speed and distance that suggest a collision is likely
- Heated Seats, Bluetooth, Navigation, and Panoramic sunroof
- Multiple air-bags and anti-lock braking system
- Full smartphone integration including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- A fuel-efficient turbo 4-cylinder motor that accelerates quickly while still achieving impressive fuel economy: 8.8l/100km for the CLA and 9.1l/100km for the GLA in part though Mercedes-Benz's innovative ECO start/stop system that turns off the engine to prevent fuel consumption while idling at a stop, and re-starts the engine instantly when the driver moves from the brake to the gas pedal
About car2go in Calgary
- car2go launched in Calgary in 2012 with 150 smart fortwo vehicles.
- Calgary has over 110,000 members and over 600 vehicles in its fleet, and each car2go in Calgary is shared by nearly 200 local members.
- car2go is adding hundreds of Mercedes-Benz vehicles to its Calgary fleet.
- Since car2go's launch in The Stampede City, Calgary members have driven over 26 million kilometers with car2go, enough to drive to the moon and back over 33 times.
Free new member registration for Calgary
For a limited time, car2go is offering Calgarians free registration and drive credit for new car2go members. Download the car2go app or register at car2go.com with the code NEWWHEELS to receive free registration plus $10 of drive credit. car2go covers its members insurance, parking, gas and maintenance with no additional fees. Members only pay by the minute for what they use. Calgarians can take a car2go on a day trip to Banff with friends, visit Heritage Park with family or head to a Flames game with free car2go-designated parking at the exclusive car2go Drop Zone.
About car2go N.A. LLC
car2go N.A., LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler North America Corporation, offers an innovative mobility solution in rapidly growing urban areas via a carsharing network of affordable, eco-friendly Mercedes-Benz and smart vehicles. A flexible and "on demand" mode of transportation, car2go complements existing public transportation by bridging the gaps between the "first and last mile" of a member's commute. Today, car2go's global operation is the largest, fastest-growing carsharing program in the world with more than 2,700,000 registered members and a fleet of nearly 14,000 vehicles in 26 locations in North America, Europe and Asia. Further information on car2go is available at car2go.com and car2go.com/NA/en/press/.
SOURCE car2go N.A. LLC
For further information: car2go N.A. Press Contact: Tim Krebs, car2go N.A., LLC, 512-962-0499, email@example.com, https://www.car2go.com