IBC publishes 2017 list of most stolen vehicles*
MONTREAL, Dec. 5, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - After being the preferred target of car thieves for years, sports utility vehicles (SUV) have given way to pickups. This is confirmed by the annual list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in Quebec, as published by Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC)
While SUVs topped the list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in recent years, car thieves appear to be expanding their market. In the new list, four of the 10 stolen vehicles are pickups, three are SUVs, two are sedans and one is a crossover.
The top 10 in Quebec
This year, the 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Quebec were:
- 2016 Toyota 4Runner 4-door (SUV)
- 2015 Toyota Tundra 4WD (Pickup)
- 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door (SUV)
- 2009 BMW 328i Cabriolet (Sedan)
- 2015 Infiniti QX70 4-door (Crossover)
- 2003 Ford F-250 SD 4WD (Pickup)
- 2006 Ford F-250 SD 4WD (Pickup)
- 2002 Subaru Impreza 4-door (Sedan)
- 2016 Toyota Tundra 4WD (Pick-up)
- 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (SUV)
While thieves are choosing to go after new vehicle models, their objective remains the same: resale outside the country. "Whether whole or in parts, pickups, SUVs and other luxury cars often end up in containers in the port of Montreal or Halifax, headed to the Middle East, Western Africa or Eastern Europe!", explained Anne Morin, Supervisor, Public Affairs, at Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Preventing auto theft
Of note is that while thieves previously went after only, or mostly, recent models, the 2017 list shows that four of the top 10 vehicles stolen were manufactured before 2010. Of these, three were manufactured before the installation of anti-theft devices became mandatory. At the other end of the spectrum, this year, six of the 10 vehicles were 2015 and 2016 models. "While older vehicles are an easier target for of thieves, it's interesting to note that the technology used in newer models is no deterrent for determined thieves", noted Ms. Morin.
It is important to remain on guard and take certain precautions to avoid being an easy target.
Here's some advice to protect your vehicle:
- Never leave your car running unattended
- Park in well-lit areas
- Roll up the car windows and lock the doors when parking
- Put valuables or packages in the trunk, out of sight
- Park your car in the garage at night
- Don't leave personal information in the glove compartment
- Keep the Registration Certificate and proof of insurance with you after parking the car
*The 2017 Top 10 list is a compilation of 2016 stats for Quebec by Groupement des assureurs automobiles.
About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada, which groups the majority Canada's P&C insurers, offers various services to consumers in order to inform and assist them when purchasing car or home insurance, or making a claim.
SOURCE Insurance Bureau of Canada
For further information: (journalists only): Caroline Phémius, Public Affairs Consultant, Telephone: 514 288-1563, ext. 2232
Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 114,000 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total...