Winners will join distinguished list of visionary leaders, pioneers
OTTAWA, Sept. 26, 2016 /CNW/ - The Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) is inviting nominations for the association's 32nd prestigious annual awards.
"We've been celebrating outstanding wind energy leaders and supporters since 1985, and every year the number of people committed to building a renewable energy future for Canada grows. We want to hear about them. We want everyone to take a moment to think about the people they know who are working hard to move wind energy forward and make sure that dedication is recognized," says Kathy Wong, CanWEA Director, Business Development.
Six awards will be handed out at next year's CanWEA Awards Dinner, to be held April 4 in conjunction with the annual CanWEA Spring Forum, which is taking place April 4-5, 2017 at the Hilton Lac-Leamy Hotel in Gatineau, Quebec.
The awards include:
- The R.J. Templin Award, first given out in 1985, recognizes an individual or organization that has undertaken scientific, technical, engineering or policy research and development work that significantly advance the wind energy industry in Canada.
- The Matt Holder Community Connection Award, is presented to an organization or individual who embodies the mandate of responsible development through a commitment to understand and build meaningful relationships with host communities.
- The Friend of Wind Award recognizes outstanding voluntary contributions to advancing awareness of the benefits of wind energy at the community level in Canada.
- The Individual Leadership Award is presented to an individual who has contributed significantly to the advancement of wind energy in Canada.
- The Group Leadership Award, honours a government, corporation or non-profit organization that has made a significant contribution to the advancement of wind energy in Canada.
- The Wind Project of the Year Award is presented to a commissioned Canadian wind energy project that has demonstrated an exceptional commitment to responsible and sustainable development.
The call for nominations is now open and will close November 30, with award finalists announced in February.
CanWEA encourages members and non-members alike to submit nominations. Self-nominations from individuals, groups and project developers are encouraged.
"We want to cast the net as wide as possible to ensure that these awards really reflect the achievements of our industry. The winners will join a distinguished list of visionary leaders and clean energy pioneers who have contributed to the growth of Canada's wind energy industry over the past three decades," says Robert Hornung, CanWEA President.
More information on the CanWEA awards, including last year's winners, can be found at canwea.ca/awards.
CanWEA is the voice of Canada's wind energy industry, actively promoting the responsible and sustainable growth of wind energy on behalf of its members. A national non-profit association, CanWEA serves as Canada's leading source of credible information about wind energy and its social, economic and environmental benefits. Join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn. Learn more at www.canwea.ca.
SOURCE Canadian Wind Energy Association
For further information: Lejla Latifovic, Communications Advisor, Canadian Wind Energy Association, 613-234-8716 x 241 or 1-800-922-6932 x 241, [email protected]