BRAMPTON, ON, April 15, 2019 /CNW/ - Canon Canada Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is honoured to have been named one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2019. The award recognizes employers leading the way in creating a culture of environmental awareness.
"We are proud to be recognized for our continuing commitment to the environment and sustainability," says Nobuhiko Kitajima, president and CEO of Canon Canada. "This honour is a testament to the efforts and values of our more than 1,000 employees across the country."
"We are guided by our corporate philosophy, Kyosei—all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future—and this recognition reflects our commitment to helping shape a more sustainable world for not only our local communities but also the global community at large."
Now entering its 13th year, Canada's Greenest Employers is an editorial competition organized by the Canada's Top 100 Employers project in partnership with the Globe and Mail. Recipients are evaluated and selected based on four sets of criteria:
- Unique environmental initiatives and programs developed
- Success in reducing their environmental footprint
- Employee involvement in programs and whether they contribute any unique skills
- Whether their initiatives have become linked to the employer's public identity and whether they attract new people to the organization
"Responsible corporate citizenship is part of Canon Canada's identity," says Nick Tomotsugu, vice-president, Corporate Logistics, Operations and General & Environmental Affairs. "We pride ourselves on being proactive with our sustainability efforts, and we are committed to continuously improving. We are honoured to know that what we have been doing has made a difference."
Canon Canada's environmental initiatives and endeavors include the following:
- Branch Out, a volunteer initiative that gives employees the opportunity to spend part of their workday creating green spaces and sustainable environments around the communities where they work and live. Activities include planting trees, invasive species removal and building bee habitats.
- State-of-the-art Brampton headquarters that reflects a commitment to the environment and sustainability with features including:
- Dedicated carpool and bike-parking spots to encourage more efficient and eco-friendly commuting;
- Energy-efficient LED lighting throughout the building, with Hyperion™ solar-adaptive shading that helps regulate the temperature of the building relative to the daylight;
- A rooftop greywater system that collects rainwater for reuse for flushing and irrigation. The system helps to save approximately 20% from Canon Canada's annual domestic city water usage; and
- An expansive green space—including a recreational path and stormwater pond behind the building, and 16,000 drought-resistant shrubs and 200 drought-resistant trees—for employees and the surrounding residential community to enjoy.
- Electronics recycling special events held at offices across the country encouraging employees to responsibly recycle their old electronics and textiles. In 2018 alone, employees diverted more than 1,000 kilograms of consumer electronics and nearly 250 kilograms of textiles from landfills.
- Dedicated drop-off bins for used batteries, toner cartridges and electronics at multiple office locations across the country.
- Environmental Education Day, an annual event held at the Brampton headquarters in collaboration with local school boards to increase environmental literacy among various school groups in the community, in conjunction with Earth Day
- Participation in multiple electronics stewardship programs across the country, including the Canadian Stewardship Services Alliance, Éco Enterprises Québec and Electronics Products Stewardship Canada.
- International ISO 14001 Certification at multiple offices across Canada. The standard certifies Canon Canada has implemented, maintained and constantly enhanced its environment management system, and ensured it meets or exceeds all environmental compliance obligations.
- A Green Procurement Policy that ensures the company procures parts, products and services from vendors who are in line with Canon Canada's commitment to the environment and sustainability.
The Greenest Employer honour adds to the list of environmental awards the company has recently received, including Most Environmentally Progressive Technology Company (Gold Award, Canadian Printing Awards, 2017) and Friends of the Credit Award of Merit (Credit Valley Conservation, 2017).
About Canon Canada Inc.
Headquartered in Brampton, Ontario, Canon Canada Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon USA, is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business and medical digital imaging solutions. Innovation and cutting-edge technology have been essential ingredients in Canon's success. Canon Canada Inc. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 per cent Canadian-based service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon Canada Inc. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility.
SOURCE Canon Canada Inc.
For further information: Press/Media Contact: Corporate Communications, Canon Canada Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org