Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation presented at a ceremony in Toronto
TORONTO, Sept. 24, 2016 /CNW/ - The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, today presented the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation to the following Ontario residents, honouring their contributions in the service of Canada's Veterans:
- Mr. Jack Edward Callowhill, Stoney Creek
- Professor Rose Caruso, Uxbridge
- Mr. Gregory Thomas Childs, London
- Ms. Faith Idyll Dickinson, Douro-Dummer
- Mr. Robert (Bob) Fyfe, Mount Hope
- Dr. Kevin McCormick, Sudbury
- Mr. Boris Gurevich, Thornhill
- Mr. Kenneth Lloyd, Oakville
- Mr. David Gregory William Parent, Windsor
- Mr. Fred Smith, Milton
- Ms. Judith Ann Stinson, Brampton
- Mr. James Wellheiser, Ayr
- Mrs. Robin Bull Wellheiser, Ayr
Through their efforts, these citizens provide invaluable support to the Veteran community, promoting greater awareness of the sacrifices and achievements of Canada's Veterans and dedicating themselves to Veteran care.
"We celebrate the achievements and selfless dedication of the men and women before me today. I would like to thank these extraordinary individuals for their service that has not gone unnoticed."
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
- The Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation was created in 2001 by Warrant of the Governor General and with the approval of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- The governing policies call for it to be "...awarded to individuals who have performed commendable service to the Veteran community or individuals who represent commendable role models for their fellow Veterans."
- The Commendation consists of a certificate, a lapel pin for civilian wear and a bar for wear with decorations.
- The design is a gold maple leaf resting on a red poppy, a flower long associated with the sacrifices of war, with the Royal Crown on the top of the pin.
- Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation - List of past recipients
- Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation - Backgrounder
SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468; Sarah McMaster, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649