– A new poll from Maru/Blue also reveals Canadians credit THE BIG BANG THEORY with making science more compelling –
– On May 16, CTV celebrates the series finale of Canada's long running, most-watched series with exclusive ETALK coverage, the season finale of spin-off series YOUNG SHELDON, and new post-finale special UNRAVELLING THE MYSTERY: A BIG BANG FAREWELL –
To tweet this release: https://thelede.ca/2VAnWzv
TORONTO, May 14, 2019 /CNW/ - It may have started with a big bang, but Canada's most-watched series is bound to go out with one as well. As the series finale of CTV's THE BIG BANG THEORY approaches, airing this Thursday, May 16 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CTV, CTV.ca, and the CTV app, a new survey from data service firm Maru/Blue reveals that when asked to rank their favourite comedy amongst a series of popular comedies past and present, Canadians ranked THE BIG BANG THEORY as their favourite comedy, ahead of series including fellow ratings juggernauts FRIENDS, SEINFELD, THE OFFICE, CHEERS, and the iconic I LOVE LUCY.
The survey also discovered that more than 60% of Canadians feel the series is likely to encourage more people to consider careers in science, and respondents credit THE BIG BANG THEORY with making science more compelling.
THE BIG BANG THEORY By The Numbers:
- 279: Number of episodes of record-breaking series THE BIG BANG THEORY
- 52: Number of Emmy® Award nominations
- 11: Number of SAG Award nominations
- 10: Number of years in a row THE BIG BANG THEORY has been Canada's most-watched comedy series
- 10: Number of Emmy® Award wins
- 7: Number of Golden Globe® nominations and number of Critics Choice Television Award wins
- 6: Number of episodes among Canada's Top 10 most-watched regular series broadcasts on record
- 4: Number of episodes to top the 5 million viewer mark on CTV
CTV's THE BIG BANG THEORY series finale night lineup:
- 7:30 p.m. ET/PT – ETALK PRESENTS: THE BIG BANG THEORY – New Special
- 8 p.m. ET/PT – THE BIG BANG THEORY – One-Hour Series Finale
- 9 p.m. ET/PT – YOUNG SHELDON – Season 2 Finale
- 9:30 p.m. ET/PT – UNRAVELING THE MYSTERY: A BIG BANG FAREWELL – New Special
"This series and its incredible cast have had a generational impact on literally tens of millions of Canadians since its debut in 2007," said Mike Cosentino, President, Content and Programming, Bell Media. "As we get ready to say goodbye with a bang, we at CTV are honoured to have been home to this iconic series for all these years."
To view full press release, click here.
Source: Numeris, 2018-19 Broadcast Season: Sept. 24, 2018 – April 14, 2019, Commercial stations only. CTV electronic audience databases and Top 20 records incorporate data beginning in 1994 and 2004, respectively. Audiences prior to August 31, 2009 based on BBM Nielsen Media Research Mark II meters.
Poll conducted by independent data service firm Maru/Blue, 4/26/19. Ranking by order of preference, from a list of comedy series spanning 1951–2019.
For further information: Matthew Almeida, Bell Media, 416.384.2629 or email@example.com; Christy Sullivan, Bell Media, 416.384.3624 or Christy.Sullivan@bellmedia.ca