OTTAWA and GATINEAU, QC, Aug. 27, 2018 /CNW/ - The CRTC today launched an online survey to better understand Canadians' experiences with the sales practices of large telecommunications service providers.
Canadians have until September 7, 2018, midnight PDT to participate.
This survey is part of the CRTC's consultation which will result in a report to the government on whether misleading or aggressive retail sales practices are used by large telecommunications service providers, their impact on consumers, as well as potential solutions to strengthen the existing consumer protections.
In addition to this online survey, the Commission has published a notice of consultation allowing Canadians to submit an intervention until August 30, 2018. The CRTC will also conduct focus groups across the country and hold a public hearing to further explore these issues. The hearing will start on October 22, 2018.
- As directed by the Governor-in-Council, the CRTC is seeking comments on:
- Misleading practices such as failing to provide consumers with the information necessary to make informed decisions or providing incomplete, unclear or misleading information.
- Aggressive sales practices including offering products to consumers that are unsuitable for them and the abuse of an ill-informed or vulnerable consumer base to benefit the providers.
- The harm, or risk of harm, to consumers related to their finances or situations that could cause stress, confusion and frustration as a result of aggressive or misleading sales practices.
- The CRTC must submit its report to the government by February 28, 2019.
- Canadians are invited to share their experiences with telecommunications sales practices
- Inquiry on use of misleading or aggressive sales practices by large telecommunications service providers
- Notice of consultation- Report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada's large telecommunications carriers
- Request for Information - Report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada's large telecommunications carriers
- Order in Council concerning high-pressure telecommunications sales practices
- Telecommunications Act
Follow us on Twitter: @CRTCeng
Ask a question or make a complaint
This document is available in alternative format upon request.
SOURCE Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
For further information: Media Relations: 819-997-9403, Fax: 819-997-4245; General Inquiries: 819-997-0313, TDD: 819-994-0423, Fax: 819-994-0218, Toll-free # 1-877-249-CRTC (2782), TDD - Toll-free # 1-877-909-CRTC (2782)