BANFF, AB, Aug. 25, 2014 /CNW/ - The Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries ("CSCS") is pleased to announce the winners of the second annual Excellence in Governance Awards/Prix d'excellence en gouvernance (EGs).
The winners were announced at the opening gala of the CSCS' 16th Annual Corporate Governance Conference held in Banff, Alberta, on August 24, 2014.
The following winners were selected in these categories
- ATB Financial - Best sustainability, ethics and environmental governance program
- Royal Bank of Canada - Best use of technology in governance, risk and compliance
- ATB Financial - Best approach to board and committee support
- Bombardier Inc - Best stakeholder engagement by a governance team
- Hamilton Community Foundation - Best practices to enhance boardroom diversity
- Royal Bank of Canada - Best practices in strategic planning, oversight and value creation by the board
- BC Cancer Foundation and MTS Allstream - Best overall corporate governance
- Sylvia Groves, Governance Studio - CSCS - Joyce Borden-Reed distinguished contribution award
- Stephen Jarislowsky and Claude Lamoureux (Co-Founders of the Canadian Coalition for Good Governance) - Peter Dey governance achievement award
CSCS would like to acknowledge the contribution of the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA) to the shortlisting process and specifically the following judges: Cathy Cummings, Executive Director, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, Wendy King, Vice President, Legal, Risk and Governance, Capstone Mining Corp, Jamie Patterson, Corporate Counsel, Group Medical Services, Sheldon Stener, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Federated Co-operatives Limited andTerri Uhrich, Vice President, Legal Affairs, K+S Potash Canada.
The final award winners were selected by a jury panel composed of seasoned and well-respected governance experts from across Canada and include:
Geoffrey D. Creighton, Senior Vice-President, General Counsel and Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer, IGM Financial Inc.
Gigi Dawe, Principal, Research Guidance and Support Leader, Corporate Oversight and Governance, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
Stephen Griggs, CEO, Smoothwater Capital Corporation
Sylvia Groves, President and Creative Director, Governance Studio
Richard Leblanc, Associate Professor, Law, Governance & Ethics, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, York University
Andrew MacDougall, President, Spencer Stuart Canada
Paul Schneider, Manager, Corporate Governance, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP)
Elizabeth Watson, QC, Founder and President, Watson Inc.
Judging facilitator Brendan Sheehan, Founder and President, The Illawong Group and honorary judge, Peter Dey, Chairman, Paradigm Capital.
The Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries is recognized as the most important organization for corporate governance professionals in Canada. CSCS strives to enhance the public's awareness of the importance of good governance and to be the voice of corporate governance professionals in Canada. The organization participates with other stakeholders, including capital markets participants, government bodies and regulators, in fostering a governance environment that sets Canada apart in the world. CSCS also supports its membership with continuing education and networking opportunities.
SOURCE: Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries
For further information: