OTTAWA, May 18, 2017 /CNW/ - Thanks to the generous support from Canadians, the Red Cross will provide direct financial assistance totalling $4 million to households impacted by the flooding in Quebec and Ontario – over half of the funds raised to date. Eligible registered households will receive $600 to help purchase what they urgently need during this very difficult time.
This amount includes over $3 million for more than 5,200 households in Quebec and close to $1 million for approximately 1,600 households in Ontario. Beginning next week, the distribution of direct financial assistance from the Red Cross will be provided to households through electronic banking transfers.
Future Red Cross recovery assistance will be provided based on the generosity of Canadians and the specific needs of the families most affected by the floods, and will be determined through one-on-one needs assessments with impacted families and individuals.
- Households can register for Canadian Red Cross assistance online at redcross.ca/gethelp, by phone at 1-800-863-6582.
- Flood-impacted households who have already registered with the Red Cross are required to re-register as additional information is required for this assistance. Households who have not yet registered with Red Cross are still eligible for assistance now and in the future upon registration.
- The fastest and most effective way to get this help is to submit an email address during registration so that financial support can be channeled electronically.
- All households who register with the Canadian Red Cross for assistance and whose primary residence is verified within a recognized flood-impacted area are eligible, whether they evacuated or stayed in their homes.
- The direct financial assistance was made possible by the generosity of Canadians who have donated more than $7.4 million so far to the Red Cross Spring Floods Appeal, with $5.3 million raised for Quebec and $2.1 million raised for other affected regions in Canada.
- Financial assistance provides a user-friendly, easily accessible method to help support emergency assistance based on unique personal needs. This method empowers those affected to determine for themselves exactly what is essential during this difficult time.
"Thanks to the generosity of Canadians, partners and businesses, the Red Cross is able to provide direct financial assistance to flooded or evacuated families. In the weeks to come, the Red Cross will provide recovery assistance for the people most affected by this disaster, based on their needs."
- Conrad Sauvé, president and CEO, Canadian Red Cross
- Registration webpage: www.redcross.ca/gethelp
- Donate to the Canadian Red Cross Spring Floods Appeal on redcross.ca
- @RedCrossCanada | facebook.com/CanadianRedCross | redcross.ca/blog
- Red Cross donor inquiries: WeCare@redcross.ca or 1-800-418-1111
About the Canadian Red Cross
Here in Canada and overseas, the Red Cross stands ready to help people before, during and after a disaster. As a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement – which is made up of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the International Committee of the Red Cross and 190 national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies – the Canadian Red Cross is dedicated to improving the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and throughout the world.
SOURCE Canadian Red Cross
For further information: English Media Line: 1-877-599-9602; French Media Line: 1-888-418-9111