The story of Canada illuminates on the front of renowned historical buildings in France
ARRAS, France, March 24, 2017 /CNW/ - Veterans Affairs Canada is pleased to present the "Three Seconds of Light" sound and light show at Place des Héros in Arras, France. The free bilingual show will be presented nightly at 9 p.m. CET (21:00) from April 5 to 12, and is one of many commemorative activities taking place in France to mark the 100th anniversary of the First World War and Battle of Vimy Ridge.
The "Three Seconds of Light" sound and light show is a special opportunity for Canadians, local residents and visitors alike to learn about Canada's military history, the Battle of Vimy Ridge and the Arras Offensive.
The 20-minute sound and light show combines digital technology with historical architectural design through a combination of lighting effects, images, sounds and music. The show explores Canada's military history and long-standing relationship with France.
"The marking of the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge is an extraordinary moment in Canada's military history. This emotionally powerful "Three Seconds of Light" sound and light show serves as a reminder of how fortunate we are to call Canada home. I am extremely honoured to be here today, watching this heartfelt tribute that reminds us what it is to be Canadian." The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
- The sound and light show is a free bilingual show presented nightly at 9 p.m. CET (21:00) from Wednesday, April 5 to Wednesday, April 12, 2017.
- The "Three seconds of light" represents what can happen in three seconds that can change your day, your life, and your country. These three components are at the core of the sound and light immersive multimedia experience.
- Show content was adapted from Northern Lights, the sound and light show on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, Canada. Northern Lights was developed for the Department of Canadian Heritage by show producers I.D.3. (Idées au cube) Inc. Manulife is the exclusive sponsor of Northern Lights.
- Lucion produced visual content and video staging design for the "Three Seconds of Light" sound and light show. Founded in 2000, Lucion brings together a creative team of artists, designers, musicians, filmmakers and screenwriters. Since its inception, Lucion has been responsible for more than 350 audiovisual productions.
- The show is one of the commemorative activities taking place in France to mark the 100th anniversary of the First World War and Battle of Vimy Ridge.
- Thanks to the wonderful support of the City of Arras, the show will take place at the Place des Héros, previously known as Petite Place, a square that was heavily damaged during the First World War. Many of the buildings were reconstructed after the war. (explorearras.com/?lng=en)
- The Canadian-produced sound and light show is an outdoor event and may be cancelled in the event of extreme weather conditions.
- 2017 is a special year of commemoration for Canada as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation and we remember the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid and the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele.
- For more information, please visit Canada.ca/vimy-100.
SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Contacts : Sarah McMaster, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649; Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468, firstname.lastname@example.org